Use the bus? - You're choking!

Except Personal Attacks

Use the bus? - You're choking!

Postby Monika » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Brian and I went to Nottingham this morning to do some Christmas shopping.

We caught the bus into town (a) because we have free passes (b) we don't have any trouble finding a car park space and (c) we like to do our bit for the environment.

When we came home, we waited for the bus in the bus station called "Broad Marsh" - a large B S covered by a roof but with one open side with a small wall.

Next to our bus stop, there was a bus with its engine running and, after a few seconds, I started to have breathing difficulties (I have COPD) - so I made my way to the back wall and took a couple of squirts of my inhaler.

Then I got really angry watching this filthy exhaust churning it out still and went up to the driver (who was chatting to an inspector). "Excuse me, why haven't you turned your ignition off - I thought this was against the law now", I said.

I was told that they are allowed to do this for 5 minutes and they do because it causes more fumes when they switch it on again if they don't.

I left saying that - well - I can't breathe.

Did they give a care? ...... did they heck!
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Rowan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:24 am

No they don't give a monkeys Monika. Gets right on my wick that kind of behaviour.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Vince » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:02 am

I would tend to write to the bus company concerned with a c.c. to the local Newspaper then you might get a more positive answer.

I agree with Rowan this behaviour gets on my wick - good will and all that. Grrrr.,
Vince

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:56 am

Particularly as most of the fumes are pushed out at baby buggy level.
Victors Mate

Postby dita » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:52 am

We have 1 bus a week, it comes on a Friday at 10 past 10am, comes back at
10 to 12noon, last week after I stood waiting for it for a while, the postman called at my house with a parcel, I ran to put it in the porch just as the bus arrived, he turned round then quickly picked up my 3 neighboors who were also waiting, I was about 3yards away running to catch it, despite the neighboors telling him to wait he said he was 2 mins late and just left me behind as I was about to board the bus.
Maybe it is because us oldies do not have to pay. :tantrum2: :tantrum2:

I have 3 mile to walk in to town, had to get a taxi.
dita

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Dita as Vince said
"I would tend to write to the bus company concerned with a c.c. to the local Newspaper then you might get a more positive answer."
Victors Mate

Postby topdog » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Dont you realise the buses are not there for your convenience but only to provide jobs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
topdog

Postby DaisyB » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:58 pm

The advert on Brighton buses says that you could hold a white hankie over the exhaust and it would come away clean. I wonder if anyone has actually tried this.
Tony, your comment about the exhaust being at baby buggy level is why I am so incensed that 99% of these buggies are forward facing.
DaisyB

Postby toolip2 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:49 pm

Can't grumble about our bus service, fooms or otherwise. every half hour with Norfolk Green to Kings Lynn, Boston, Spalding. We have Interconnect buses for the many villages, a community bus service. An hourly service to Peterborough by Stagecoach. ( the name of the company, I hasten to add! :roflmao: )

This bus company should be reported but I do not know who to as an organisation. The County Council environment perhaps?
toolip2

Return to Anything Goes