Plumbing Insurance.

Except Personal Attacks

Plumbing Insurance.

Postby Maywalk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 pm

Our washers were going on the taps that we had and as we are insured for plumbing with Homeserve I phoned them up to get them sorted out.
I was told that washers DID NOT come under the insurance so it would cost us £170. I was quite narked about this because no one had mentioned this before we took the insurance on. We were then told IF we paid extra we would not have to pay for the washers.
However I told them I thought it was extortionate and having been with them for quite a while with never calling on them for help I was disgusted. I heard the young lady telling someone in the background that I was very cross about this.
A chap came on the phone and said that we could have them done for £150 instead so after reluctantly agreeing I gave my card details to the young lady who said that the money would be taken from our account as soon as the job was completed.

On Saturday I noticed some water down by the kitchen sink and just automatically thought that I had splashed some as I washed up.
I wiped it up and thought no more about it.
On Sunday hubby went to get under the sink to get my pototoes out for me to peel for dinner and the bottom of the cupboard was swimming with water.
He called me out to look at it and I was NOT a happy bunny. We think the engineer who changed the washers must have hit the stop tap too hard to turn it off because we now have a flipping leak under the sink.
I have been on the phone for 30 minutes this morning being pushed from one department to the other until I finally lost my rag.
I was then put in touch with a chap who took all the details and promised to phone me back when he got the engineer who did the job.
He kept his word after me saying if I didnt hear from them that day then I would be taking things further.
Its now arranged for the engineer to call tomorrow to put things right. I said it would be OK as long as he turned up and we would keep a meat tin under the leak to catch any drips. We have had to do it all day yesterday after finding out where all the water was coming from so another day wont make much difference.
We pay roughly £79 a year for the above insurance.

Well thats my moan over and done with.

Go out and enjoy the sunshine IF you have any.
Have a lovely day.
Maywalk

Postby dita » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 pm

That is bliddy terrible Maisie, :tantrum2:
dita

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Thats a bliddy rip off. Perhaps when he told you the price for the job you should have approached Age Concern/Help the Aged they usually keep a register of local reasonable and trustworthy tradesmen.
Victors Mate

Postby Maywalk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:05 pm

I am not a lover of Age Concern VM.
I had my house insurance from them some years ago and the following year it had gone up nearly 40 pounds. :huffin:
I told them to stuff it and went to R.I.A.S.
Maywalk

Postby Tiddles » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:13 pm

Anybody requiring a reliable tradesman should check with this organization first to see if there is a member in their area

http://www.checkatrade.com/
Tiddles

Postby Vince » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Washers I would of thought came under wear and tare, so you would pay, I don't think you can insure for things that ware out

Sorry I've just looked up Homeserve and it does look as though they cover for tap washers Maise I too would have been hopping mad.
Vince

Postby Maywalk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:01 pm

Yes they do if you pay the extra Vince.
They have just come up with the idea of the customer paying extra to cover washers and anything electrical.
As my cover finishes next month with them I had NO intention of upping my insurance with them until the time was up.
That is IF I do and dont find anywhere better.
Maywalk

Postby Dragon Lady » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Did you not have anyone (friend or relative) who would have popped in and fitted new washers for you, Maisie? They only cost a few bob in the hardware shop. That company really ripped you off. :evil:
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Maywalk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 pm

No we dont have anyone in the family to do that now DL.
I only wish I had.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:40 pm

Its everyone out for themselves nowadays.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Return to Anything Goes