varifocals give me a headache.

Except Personal Attacks

varifocals give me a headache.

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:41 pm

I've just had some new glasses... varifocals on the opticians advice. I've had them 2 days and they're giving me a headache.
To read anything, I have to look down with my eyes half closed ... that's ok for reading something quick but not when I want to relax and read a book.
Also, at the computer I have to hold my head slightly back as the strongest lens is at the bottom.

I just don't feel at ease. I think I've made a big mistake in having them. :(

I wondered if anybody on here has varifocals and how do you get on with them?
caroljoyce

Postby drogo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Had them for years. They're brilliant.
drogo

Postby Monika » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:20 pm

I've been wearing "Varilux" for years and have always got on well with them and not experienced your problem caroljoyce - in fact - I wouldn't have anything else; I think they're wonderful.

However, I once went to Spec Savers for new ones and they were really dreadful. I kept going back because I just couldn't get on with them and couldn't use them as everything was blurred at a distance.

After about the fifth time of going back again, I saw someone of importance who told me that their own varifocals were what I had been given and they didn't bend enough for my vision. I had to pay quite a bit more for them to upgrade to "Varilux" proper and the problem was solved.

Since then, I always insist on "Varilux" by name and have had no problem whatsoever.

You shouldn't be experiencing any of the problems you have outlined Varifocals are designed to give you good vision whatever you're looking at.

Go back to the optician, cj.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:50 pm

My main problem is having to hold my head back when I look at the computer screen. What else can I do when the strongest is at the bottom? if I look straight at it, as I normally would, that's my distance lens and not strong enough to read what's on the screen.

I don't know if mine are varilux or not... there's no literature with them. They cost me £350 so they ought to be good ones. (I think) I feel as though I've been ripped off.

How much do varilux reckon to cost Monika? My frames are only ordinary (not designer) Do you think I paid a fair price or not?
caroljoyce

Postby mazzy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:42 am

I only paid £139 for my last glasses - varifocals, so I think you should have wonderful specs for that price!!!
My local specsavers is excellent. I did have varifocals from another optician
( before I discovered specsavers) - they were awful...and expensive. It appeared that the 'fields' were in the wrong place!

I would go back again til they are right for you...and don't pay a penny more, especially as you got them on the opticians advice.
mazzy

Postby dejavou » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:27 am

They don't sound like they're set up correctly for you, go back and see the optician again (and keep going back until they're sorted)
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby toolip2 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi CJ! I did not get on with varifocals and went for bifocals and I get on very well with them. Have you considered or tried these? :magnify:
toolip2

Postby caroljoyce » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:35 pm

No toolip, never have tried bifocals ... Until now only ever had reading glasses.
caroljoyce

Postby Monika » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:58 pm

I think you should persevere with getting these put right first, cj.

What you are describing shouldn't be happening. I know I have to buy Varilux, rather than anyone's varifocals but I know lots of people who are very happy with theirs and, as everyone says, yours seem to have not been measured correctly.

Some opticians try to make out it's your fault when something isn't right - they will say that you have to give it time to get used to them but I don't think you ever can if they are so bad in the first place. And, let's face it your eyes are very precious.

Go back and good luck, caroljoyce.
Monika

Postby caroljoyce » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Yes I'll definitely be going back. I ordered some prescription sun glasses for driving... only the single lens thank goodness... £69, a bit more reasonable!!

I've got to fetch them next week so I'll see about the varifocals then.
caroljoyce

Postby mazzy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:12 am

When I first had varifocals I 'got used' to them in about 30 minutes, so don't let them fob you off with 'getting used to them'.
mazzy

Postby caroljoyce » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 am

One of the difficulties I've found is reading in bed. I just can't get into a comfortable reading position with these glasses... I've had to revert to my old reading specs.
caroljoyce

Postby Monika » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Reading is the one area that is different with varifocals as you have to move your head slightly as you read - a bit like watching tennis at Wimbledon although not so exaggerated.

Having said that, I do read in bed every night before going off to sleep and don't find it a problem.
Monika

Return to Anything Goes