I will be watching ..............

Except Personal Attacks

Postby ciderman_nz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Victors Mate wrote:
ciderman_nz wrote:One of my earliest memories is having a tantrum at Mr Hitler , when a V2 landed up the street opposite our house and it made all the soot come down our chimney and all over my birthday cards! I was 4! You can have really good tantrums when you're 4!

Have you got over it yet Michael? :hide:

Congrats on your good news.

I was 5 when I shot him in the bunker in Berlin!!!
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Dragon Lady » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 pm

I have just watched it on Channel 4 IPlayer. It certainly shook me! Hearing your parents talking about it is one thing but seeing it how it actually happened is another.

My parents had moved out of central London by then and were living in Middlesex. My Dad had a job which quite often saw him working nights - right close to WOOLWICH ARSENAL! My Mum used to worry sick about him. Anyway, it never got bombed.

One person in our road was killed. A woman went outside of her front door to watch the bombing and was hit by a piece of shrapnel.

It was interesting to see the amount of protection underneath the stairs gave - I used to quite often doubt that it did. We did not have a shelter, but the whole family (including my grandmother who was living with us at the time) hid under a very sturdy oak dining table. I guess it would have been OK had the ceiling fallen in, but I doubt it would have helped in severe structural damage.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:57 pm

When I was growing up, we had a close shave one night during the war.

We lived with my grandparents and we had all gone down the cellar when the air-raid sirens went off. Grandad had knocked a hole in the wall to next door and they used to chat through there. The walls and ceiling were clad with corrugated metal (not sure what that was).

Anyway, we heard the plane come over and then we heard the whistling bomb as it descended; Grandad shouted, "Duck" and we all ducked down, which caused much hilarity afterwards.

Luckily no-one got hurt - the bomb made a crater in the middle of the boulevard about three streets away and about 20 yards from the school we attended.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Rowan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Sounds pretty horrific to me - but then as little children, they may not have realised the danger.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby mo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:39 pm

I certainly won't be watching it. It brings back too many bad memories for me. We lived right in the thick of it.
We lived in the top floor of a three story flat in North West London and were bombed all around us.
W stayed in churches and the underground every night.
I remember our Mum cryin the next day when she saw the street round the corner bombed, knowing that some of her friends lived there.
Sad times.
mo

Postby toolip2 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:49 pm

My dear Dad was a fire fighter in the London Fire Brigade and fought the blazes of the Blitz and saw some of his friends and colleagues perish in front of his eyes.

I was about 18 months old and me and Mum went to live on a houseboat near Southend On Sea in Essex for 18 months and Dad used to come down and see us when he was on leave. Mum's teapot got thrown in the mud many a time!! :roflmao: I put my finger in a rabbit cage ona nearby farm and the critter bit my finger and I have the scar to this day. Thought it was a carrot no doubt. We had him for tea, probably!! :roflmao:

Terrible times, Maisie. :huffin:
toolip2

Postby mo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Whoops ! Sorry Ciderman I forgot to congratulate you on the new addition to your family.
mo

Postby ciderman_nz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks Mo, et al. The other two are very possesive of Susie!
"SHE'S MY SISTER!'
"NO SHE'S NOT_ SHE'S MY SISTER!'
"SHE'S MY.....' etc etc
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby dita » Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm

Maisie did you watch the programme tonight? I would have thought it would have brought back memories to you from your experiences at that time.
Certainly very frightening. :hide:
dita

Postby Maywalk » Tue May 04, 2010 8:55 am

YES it certainly did bring back memories Dita.
I can remember the night the Germans went for all the docks. When we emerged from the shelter after the All Clear had sounded it felt as though we were standing in the middle of a massive bonfire.
I wouldn't wish that sort of thing on my worst enemy because it was horrific.
Maywalk

Previous

Return to Anything Goes