Do we really need to tell these little white lies?

Except Personal Attacks

Do we really need to tell these little white lies?

Postby mo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:46 pm

It's a parents duty to tell their children that they must never lie, yet most of us tell them soo many little white lies over their younger years.
Snta Claus for instance and the tooth fairy and fairies at the bottom of the garden.
I know we make these up to make our children happy and excited, but is it really neccessary?

I remember not quite understanding that a few of our friends who had been very naughty over the year and who's parents were far better off than ours had very expensive toys from Santa Claus while we only had small things like colouring books, plasticine etc.

When we eventually found out at the age of seven that none of this ever existed, we were very hurt and confused to think that our parents had told us all these tales knowing that they weren't true.

I wasn't happy telling my children all these tales and making them out to be true, but because it would spoil it for other parents, I went along with it.

So is it really neccessary to carry on telling children that Santa Claus flies through the air on his reindeer and delivers presents to children or would they be just as excited receiving any gifts whoever sent ithem?
mo

Postby Rowan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:57 pm

I don't remember being upset that Santa didn't exist - by that time I didn't really believe anyway. Its for such a short time to believe in magic I do think its necessary.

I do remember not being very interested in what other kids got, I was always happy to get mine - which were not that expensive because we didn't have a lot of money either.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Rowan wrote:I don't remember being upset that Santa didn't exist - by that time I didn't really believe anyway. Its for such a short time to believe in magic I do think its necessary.

And then that delicious feeling as the eldest son becoming part of the "grown ups" conspiracy.
Victors Mate

Postby toolip2 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:29 pm

I feel as Eve does.

Yes, it is important IMO. It never harmed me and probably not many thousands of small children but it hurt you and maybe others who may have been sensitive,
Why did you tell your chidren and keep up a tradition you felt uncomfy with, Mo?

Childhood is special time but not all children are blessed with happy families however, a little bit of magic is to my mind not harmful and it takes off the harsh reality of life. We soon grow up. I look back to when my Mum told me gently (when I asked her)that Santa did not bring me my prezzies but Daddy and Mummy did I was not alarmed or upset.

Its all light-hearted fantasy in my view.
toolip2

Postby DaisyB » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Of course it is necessary to create some magic for children, they grow up far too fast anyway.
When you think about it, what is a magician/illusionist, they are pulling the wool over our eyes and even though we know it is not 'magic' we enjoy being 'fooled'.
DaisyB

Postby toolip2 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Thats right, Daisyb
toolip2

Postby Anya » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:40 am

Mo - I do agree with you.

I have never understood the need to create so many 'lies' and myths, for little children, only to smack them in the face with reality. As opposed to enjoyable fantasies, which we all love, at that age. And later.

When Father Xmas was mentioned, I used to say 'It is a true story that a kind old man made toys for poor children and we still celebrate that today, in his memory".
Anya

Postby rocky » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:16 pm

DaisyB wrote:Of course it is necessary to create some magic for children, they grow up far too fast anyway. When you think about it, what is a magician/illusionist, they are pulling the wool over our eyes and even though we know it is not 'magic' we enjoy being 'fooled'.

[font=Comic Sans MS]That's a terrific point, Daisy. I hadn't considered that, but it's very true. A bit of magic; a bit of illusion ... even movies are fantasy/illusion. As adults, it allows us to escape the everyday. And it would do the same for the little ones ... a delicious illusion. [/font]
rocky

Postby mo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Well I can understand how you all view the subject, but I always felt uncomfortable telling these little white lies to my children.
As I said before, I did it because I knew if I didn;t the children would spoil it for others that did believe that Santa Claus flew over the chimneys and filled their stockings with presents.

I think without all the worries that grownups have, children find life fun without having t believe in these little games.
mo

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:42 am

I suppose you didn't approve of the tooth fairy either Mo? :roll:

Edit to say I've just re-read the thread and I see that you don't.
caroljoyce

Postby mo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Carol. I can't really see the point in it.
Wouldn't it be just as nice to say to our children. " Put your tooth under the pillow and mummy and daddy will have a surprise waiting for you?

It's just me being silly and hate telling lies even if it's little white ones to our children.
mo

Postby DaisyB » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:02 pm

So bvy the same token Mo, when one of your grandchildren bring you a picture they've painted, do you tell them that it's just a load of scribble, or do say 'oh that's beautiful darling'
DaisyB

Postby Victors Mate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:16 pm

I would, as I guess you would June, praise to encourage them. I suppose that judging by the postings above others wouldn't.
Victors Mate

Postby dita » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:15 pm

I am sure it does no harm to live with that sort of white (if it is one)lie, it is no worse than all the lovely fairy stories that are read to us when we are little about Alice in Wonderland etc.
dita

Postby mo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:28 pm

I rest my case.
mo

Next

Return to Anything Goes