Do we really need to tell these little white lies?

Except Personal Attacks

Postby DaisyB » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:30 pm

?????
DaisyB

Postby caroljoyce » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:28 pm

DaisyB wrote:So bvy the same token Mo, when one of your grandchildren bring you a picture they've painted, do you tell them that it's just a load of scribble, or do say 'oh that's beautiful darling'

Well yes, that would be a white lie wouldn't it?
caroljoyce

Postby mo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:07 am

Still let's be honest. This has been an interesting subject that has given lot's of postings. :roflmao:
mo

Postby Rowan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Its always interesting to see what others think
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:14 am

This topic is perfectly sensible, interesting and challenging. We need to be able to air our views in relative comfort of not being shot down in flames. It would not be an interesting forum if we all have the same views and post on eggshells which it seems one has to from time to time. Like many forums, I suspect. :roll: :thinking:
toolip2

Postby mo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 am

Good posting Tulip and we are all entitled to our views, though some think they are always right.
I can see where folk are coming from with the answers to this topic. I can't say I agree but it is their view.

DaisyB wrote:So bvy the same token Mo, when one of your grandchildren bring you a picture they've painted, do you tell them that it's just a load of scribble, or do say 'oh that's beautiful darling'

If I think it is, then I say it is June.
But I don't belive in telling white lies and saying "That's clever." to every bit of drawing and and painting that my children or grandchildren have done if I know they can do better. isn't encouraging them to do better. That isn't the right way to teach a child.
If I find each time they present me with a lot of scribble and I compliment them, then they think that is the correct way to draw.
What is more encouraging is how my Dad taught me by saying. "That's good but I'm sure you can do better."
mo

Postby toolip2 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:38 pm

I draw and paint in watercolour and our 10 year old GD loves this too and draws and paints and is good. I have been helping nher since she started school and have taught her about perspective. She started looking at roofs of neighbour's houses and noted how they appeared and tried hard to get it right. Its not easy for an adult let alone a child but she is getting better and creating some good stuff.

I feel that children should be encouraged with kindness and tact.Our six year old GS loves to draw and did a tree recently how he thought it should be done. He said "Look nanny", and I said good try James and told him how to do leaves and tree trunks but praised him for his efforts. he was happy.

To say thats good to a child but you could do better is not enough and it should be followed up with a bit of tuition (if its possible for the one who is administering the comment). Such a comment should not be made and just left at that as a young child may become discouraged and give up. They need to be shown how to do better, IMO
toolip2

Postby mo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 am

I agree Toolip and did and do sit with my grandchildren as like you I also paint.
My dear old Dad taught Dorrie and I to paint and wouldn't say it was good if it wasn't but he had patience and sat helping us to draw and paint.

Your ten year old sounds like she's doing really well with all of your patience.
mo

Postby Vince » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:57 am

My Mum said there was a santa and fairies at the bottom of the garden and she was never wrong. :dunno: :thinking:
Vince

Postby Rowan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:02 am

I STILL beieve in fairies
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:48 pm

I remember fairy rings in the forest when I wqas a child. Little toadstools ina small ring. Love that little tale, even now
toolip2

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:58 pm

I believe if you are, as I am, a romantic person the magic changes but it never goes away. Without the magic all you left with is possessions. How soulless is that?
Victors Mate

Postby Anya » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:01 am

Of course there is magic. Children have vivid imaginations and love all sorts of 'magic' fables and stories. They can also accept, from a very early age, whether a story is 'magic', or 'real'.

My little grandsons love a game where we start a story and each person adds a bit, the stories often become complex and esoteric. Sometime they bring out the same story again, months afterwards, remembering every detail.

They also talk about events at school, or with their friends and they always start - this is a real story -
Anya

Postby ciderman_nz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:12 am

I don't think many children accept a reality of Santa Claus et al, but they enter into it and use their imaginations, sometimes I feel, to homour us adults. :mrgreen:
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Jann » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Well I'll tell you something that really happened to me.....I actually heard sleigh bells when the sleigh was flying over our house on Christmas night,truly I did,I must have been about eight!!
Attachments
santa and reindeer.gif
santa and reindeer.gif (100.26 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
Jann

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes