Moderrn Day Life.

Except Personal Attacks

Postby mo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 pm

I had to use that wretched boiler in the kitchen until my parents visited us from London and my dear old dad bought us a Burco Boiler.
He was going to get the Baby Burco which was all the rage in the early 50s..... cost £5.00
But realised it would be far too small so bought us a bigger one for £9.50 which we still have in the garden shed.
It is still in good working order but when we moved, we lost the top.
mo

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 am

Maywalk wrote:Yes thats what I had Hazel when I first got married, a copper in the kitchen.
What a ruddy performance it was to get the fire going under it. :huffin:
Then you had to keep stoking it up to get the water boiling. :roll:

..... and then you had to get rid of the ashes afterwards !

On a much more attractive level I do have a few small needlework antiques - a carved bone cotton barrel, several bone and metal crochet hooks, bone fan sticks, eyelet stilletos, bone and metal needle cases, a pin cushion, bone silk winders, small silver child's thimble with 'the cow jumped over the moon' engraved on it, some beautifully sharp needlework scissors from around 1820 and several pieces of very old lace one of which dates from around 1730-1740 - a collar made from Devon Lace which predates Honiton Lace.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Maywalk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:48 am

Wow they survived the war then Hazel. How lovely.
Have you had them valued, more for the sake of insurance not profit. ?
Maywalk

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:23 am

No I haven't Maisie - I should I suppose.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Maywalk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 am

Well I would Hazel.
Maywalk

Postby toolip2 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Lovely memories, Maisie! I still have a flat iron on its stand and we ha=d it painted in canal artistry and it looks fab in the kitchen. I remember Mum had a gas copper and it did the washing well. Mum used to light the gas ring on it and it would go "POP" as it had air in it. i was terrifyed of the thing and ran away from it when Mum got the matches out! :roll: :roflmao: I also remember the Rollsmatic washing machine and the guy who invented it was it John Rolls? It was trhe height of luxury then!

I still have a washing board with the glass in tact. Who remembers Skiffle in the 50's? Skiffle groups used them for an instrument and a reet racket they made too! :roflmao:

I do think things are great now and all the modern gadgetry is fantastic really but many of us recall the good old days and forget the hard work involved on the domestic front! :huffin: :groaner:
toolip2

Postby Penny » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Took my grandchildren to the old M.K. Agricultural Museum yesterday. Maisie, you should go there. All the old mangles, dolly tubbys, irons etc in the old fashion kitchens, The old fire place with a hole over the top for breadmaking. It was fantastic. Funny because several of the items are the same as mine. I spoke to one of the people in charge and am handing my stuff over to them for preservation. I know my son would tip the lot. I also have two or three old phones which they will have to put in the telephone exchange there. The children were enthralled to use the old fashioned switchboard. Both of them played the old pianola's and organs. Very interesting too was the old toy room. A lovely old working fairground, made by a chappie we knew from our village, it was passed at his request to the museum. It goes on and on. I won't bore you any more but if anyone knows this area do pay it a visit,. cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Postby Maywalk » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:14 pm

I would love to visit it Penny. Travelling too far now is out of the question I am afraid.
It sound fascinating.

Is this it Penny?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mkmuseum/pool/
Maywalk

Postby Penny » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Thats the one Maisie, the picture of the lady in the white bonnet is the same kind worn by the lady who made chocolate cake for the children. Simply lovely. I am searching my airing cupboard for a bonnet and apron, the same, which I made years ago when my daughter, on a school visit had to dress like that. Wish you were closer, really is wonderful;. cheers Penny. :grouphug:
Penny

Previous

Return to Anything Goes