A Trip Back In Time.

Except Personal Attacks

A Trip Back In Time.

Postby Maywalk » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:56 pm

I have had an afternoon of clearing out a lot of stuff from my drawers and units. Its been quite a while since I had a good clear out and there has been much reminscing as I found stuff that I thought had been thrown out many moons ago,
including old photos, which is why I have put this posting up as you will see.

Well before I had a computer I used to buy undressed baby dolls and knit sets to dress them in so that they could be used for a chosen charity of that time. It would usually be guess the name of the doll to raise money that way.

Anyway in 1982 I had a friend phone me up who used to look after the local war museum at the Loughborough Carillion below ......................

He had been donated a WW2 baby gasmask and wanted to know how it was put on a baby. I told him to come and see me and to bring it with him.
As luck would have it I had a doll ready for charity and when he came I put the doll in the gasmask to demonstrate how the pump worked but it looked so good I told him to take the doll as I had placed it in the gasmask and go and put it in the WW2 section of the museum.
He was SO thrilled with it he had a name plate made with my name on it and had it put across the front of the helmet.
He took this photo of it as it sat in the museum.

Maywalk

Postby ciderman_nz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:48 pm

Love that mask Frolique! I've never seen one before. I don't think we had one when I was that size.
As a museum enthusiast I, (and my curator boss) are always pleading that people go through, or even get us to go through, stuff found in cupboards and attics. Don't just dump it! Most people don't develop an interest in the past until later in life and a lot is lost forever. We have had fascinating photos from our settler past, discovered in old boxes of 'junk', including glass plates that the owners didn't even know what they were let alone who they were of.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Vince » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:34 am

During the war years I actually saw only once used for a demonstration thank goodness, the baby was screaming all the time while inside, and the mother had to give up
Vince

Return to Anything Goes