foofalert-hijiki seaweed

Except Personal Attacks

foofalert-hijiki seaweed

Postby Penny » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:36 pm

The Food Standards Agency is reminding people of its advice not to eat a type of seaweed called hijiki because it contains high levels of inorganic arsenic. Inorganic arsenic is known to increase people’s risk of getting cancer.

This reminder follows a notification from the European Commission to the Agency about a brand of hijiki seaweed, Clearspring, which was found to contain high levels of arsenic. The Agency is advising people to avoid all hijiki on sale in the UK.

We are advising people not to eat hijiki seaweed and to choose alternative types of seaweed instead. However, if you have eaten hijiki occasionally it is unlikely that you have raised your risk of developing cancer significantly.

The Agency also carried out a survey in 2004, which found that hijiki contains inorganic arsenic – a form that occurs naturally in some foods. The survey also tested arame, kombu, nori and wakame but no inorganic arsenic was found in these types of seaweed.

Hijiki is a distinctive, almost black, shredded seaweed, that is used mainly as an appetiser or starter in some Japanese restaurants. It is not used in sushi or in Chinese

cheers Penny
Penny

Postby toolip2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Penny, what's a foofalert? :dunno: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :sorry:
toolip2

Postby Penny » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:49 pm

I think that's what the seaweed makes you do. cheers Penny :roflmao:
Penny

Postby Rowan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:15 pm

I haven't eaten any seaweed for ages - there is a very nice black one that tastes sweet, like chocolate but since Mijo went back to Japan I've not had any, must be four years now.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Penny wrote:I think that's what the seaweed makes you do. cheers Penny :roflmao:

Will avoid that then!!! :rolleye11: :oops: :roflmao:
toolip2

Return to Anything Goes