Flog It.

Except Personal Attacks

Flog It.

Postby Maywalk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:45 pm

Does anyone watch this programme?
I love anything to do with old stuff and antiques although I cant afford any but I like to watch the programmes.
On this afternoon's show a woman had bought a Moorcrofts sugar sifter from a car boot
sale for £5. It was originally £7-50 but she got the price down.
Anyway when it was auctioned off it was bought for £1000. :shock:
Her face was a picture and she was ecstatic and SO excited to know that it fetched that amount.

Have you ever had anything like that happen to you.?

I never go to car boot sales or to charity shops for that matter because
at my age they might want to sell me off but I would love to
know if anyone has had a windfall through something similar to this.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Well never so much profit but I once had a teapot in the shape of an elephant, the lid was a mahout, I bought it for 75p and sold it for £80. I also once had a porcelain cheese dish - toy sized which I bought for 25p and sold for £30. Lots of other little ones though.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:50 pm

I love the programme especially Paul Martin :banana: :sunglasses:

No, we have never put anything up for auction but have some good stuff about the house.
toolip2

Postby Maywalk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Wow you seem to have an eye for a bargain Eve. :mrgreen:

Yes I like the programme too Toolip espcially if it is like today's with that lovely surprise that the woman had.

What I cant stand is when someone takes a small thing about 3inches high to the auction and they say that they are downsizing. :shock:
The mind boggles. :roll:
Maywalk

Postby toolip2 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:42 pm

There was acouple on Restoration Roadshow on BBC2 tonight and they did just his with a lovely writing desk table model. They were "downsizing"!!! The work the chap put into the restoration was fantastic and they still auctioned it They got about £300 for it. I would have kept it as it had been under various family beds for 90 years in an old blanket!! :roll: DOH! :tantrum2:
toolip2

Postby Anya » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:09 am

I love The Antics Roadshow (as known in our family) and not too keen on the various offshoots. Same with cookery progs, start with one and end up with wall-to-wall ??!! By the by, there was a carpet shop in town, called Walter Wall Carpets - but I digress - as the new bride said, when she got up from the honeymoon bed, to bake a cake.

One prog I did enjoy was Restoration Man, shown only on an obscure cable channel, as I recall. Managed to tape them all. Eric Knowle and Alan Hurd bought an old item at auction and Alan Hurd restored it, in his fabulous workshop, with the whole process followed, bit by bit. The restored item was then sold at auction, sometime they made back the time and cost of restoration, with a good profit, sometime they didn't.
Anya

Postby Rowan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:16 am

I sometimes watch these programmes - criticising everthing!!! :banana:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Return to Anything Goes