Your thoughts on Beauty and art.

Except Personal Attacks

Your thoughts on Beauty and art.

Postby ciderman_nz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:42 pm

Even amongst the religious members here , (aside from those who believe 'creation' happened 6000 years ago, perpetrated by a big guy in a long white gown and with a beard), acceptance of evolution is normal. For most human advances, if you can call them that, one can see an obvious method and reason. Beauty in the case of a mate might be directed by a perception of fertility, thereby increasing chances of progeny and spreading the genes more. Beauty of a flower, bright colours attract insects to pollinate, again projection of genes. But how about a sunset, a painting, a majestic snow capped mountain scene? Why are we sometimes in awe of these efforts? I can see no evolutionary gain in them, but we like them.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby dejavou » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:11 am

Maybe it's because a magnificent sunset or sunrise or any stunning view makes us see how insignificant we really are and that nature continues to inspire in spite of mans attempts to harnes it
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby rocky » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:40 pm

dejavou wrote:Maybe it's because a magnificent sunset or sunrise or any stunning view makes us see how insignificant we really are.

[font=Microsoft Sans Serif]Absolutely perfect reply, Dejavou ... [/font]
rocky

Postby drogo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Some muddling thinking here. For example:

A sunset, however beautiful, is not a work of art.

A painting need not be beautiful, but is a work of art.
drogo

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Yes drogo but a painting of a sunset can be both beautiful and is a work of art.
Victors Mate

Postby toolip2 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Why are we sometimes in awe of these efforts? I can see no evolutionary gain in them, but we like them.

That's where faith, for one who has any, in a Creator and an intelligent one kicks in, IMO. I believe in God, but not the way you describe Him, Ciderman. :sorry: Another topic maybe.

I sit in my garden or conservatory and look at the clouds and am in awe of the beauty of the shapes and colours fo them. even when they are grey The sunsets/rises where I live are awesome. I believe there is something in the very core of a human being that is a mystery and springs from something beyond our limited imagination and comprehension and this something is good

toolip2

Postby drogo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Victors Mate wrote:Yes drogo but a painting of a sunset can be both beautiful and is a work of art.

Of course.
drogo

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Toolip on a cloudless night when it is pitch black look at the sky at all the stars you can see then imagine all the stars invisible to the naked eye. Then it becomes unimaginable that there isn't a supreme creator. I also believe that there is a creator its too big (infinite) too intricate to have happened by accident.
Victors Mate

Postby Anya » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:05 am

Ciderman - I like the way you ask only the easy questions :magnify:

I am still thinking on that one.
Anya

Postby toolip2 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:20 am

Then it becomes unimaginable that there isn't a supreme creator. I also believe that there is a creator its too big (infinite) too intricate to have happened by accident.

I feel as you do, VM and millions of others who share faith in a supreme Creator. There is no way we happenned by accident and whatever ones faith or lack of its all a mystery and us mere humans. impossible to solve

Seeing healthy new born baby just out of it's mother's womb and new born chicks pop out of an egg, an orchestra in full throng, the gifted musicians and singers, the wonderful gift of trees that keep us all alive, the air we breathe, acts of kindness by a total stranger....and so on.

If anyone said to me that faith is the product of an over active imagination, I would challenge this with all my might.
toolip2

Return to Anything Goes