What do you do to keep active?

Except Personal Attacks

What do you do to keep active?

Postby Maywalk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:05 pm

This is NOT including walking or bike riding or any outside activity.

Just curious as to what you do in the home to keep the brain ticking over.
Do the ladies knit or sew or do cross stitching and are the men always
busy either making something or improving various things around the house?
I know reading is enjoyed by both sexes but I just wondered if anyone had any interesting hobbies to share.

I do some knitting when the mood takes me apart from visiting my favourite forums and
answering my mail and I like to play Facebook Scrabble.
I have 12 games going at the moment and it keeps the grey matter going and I also like the challenge. :mrgreen:
I DONT always win, in fact I think I have lost more than I have won but
that doesn't deter me from playing. :huffin:
Maywalk

Postby dejavou » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Reading for me Maisie, used to like knitting, but too hard on the fingers and wrists now. I spend too much time playing on the PC
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Victors Mate » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 pm

dejavou wrote: I spend too much time playing on the PC

Don't we all Deja
Victors Mate

Postby Maywalk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 pm

I never seem to find anything in the reading line to keep my attention for long Deja. I am not into romances or heavy reading and I tend to get fed up after a bit.
I do spend too much time on the computer but it keep me amused so thats all that matters.
Maywalk

Postby toolip2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Maisie, I have just started reading novels by Tamara McKinley, an Australian authoress.
Hubby picked up one of her books in a charity shop and the book is called Undercurrents and for me and him a riveting read. I am now on my second story called Dreamscapes and set in the Australian Outback and again a riveting read.

May not be your cuppa but she is very popular author and quite out of the ordinary.

In answer to your post: I love being at home and even after 15 yeqars since retiring I love the freedom. I enjoy a few crafts: watercolour painting and drawing, reading, corespondance with my friend up north. I enjoy a bit of embroidery. I like to knit and am knitting little hats for premature babies for the charity BLISS, advertised in the YOURS magazine. I love this simple knitting exercise and to think of all those wee babbies in their little units in the neo natal dept in the hospitals. :grouphug:

I pop on and off the PC when at home but try to keep a bablance of how much time I spend on it.
toolip2

Postby Maywalk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:46 pm

You certainly keep yourself occupied toolip2 and talking about knitting for Bliss from the Yours magazine I have been on another forum and one person there wanted to do some knitting for the Bliss.
She said she visited the site to get a pattern to start knitting for them but was surprised to find that when sending any garments they also request a fee to them of £5 minimum to cover the costs of Bliss sending them to a neo natal clinic.
So as well as paying for the wool, knitting the garments, and paying for the postage to send them in the donor would have to send at least £5 to the charity to distribute them. Also they would not allow the patterns to be downloaded without registering and giving personal details including email address and phone number which the person was not prepared to do. Needless to say she has had second thoughts about knitting for them and in such a case as this so would I.
I cant vouch for this because I have not seen the said book.
Maywalk

Postby ciderman_nz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:14 pm

I work part time at the local museum and always seem to be making or building something for my kids, (they are not very DIY!) I play for hours with a program called FloorPlan Plus, which is a house plan program. I've even done a plan of the Museum! How sick is that?
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Maywalk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Why is it sick Michael?
IF it is keeping the mind active I would never call it sick.
Its better than sitting and vegetating and gawping at the TV all the time.
Its something you enjoy and I think if you really enjoy doing it you put your best into it.
Thanks for the input.
Maywalk

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:05 am

To say I love reading is putting it mildly - I have nearly finished entering all my books into a computer programme and so far the count is 2,748 books with just a few more to go. I decided to list them all after I lent a series of 5 books to a 'friend' who, when she was asked for them back, insisted that they weren't my books but belonged to her daughter. Unfortunately I hadn't written my name in them which is another reason I have listed all my books - I had a rubber stamp made of my name, address and telephone number and now they have all been branded ! It is amazing how many books I have found in my collection that were old favourites that I had forgotten about - I have enough to keep me busy reading for a long time and then I will be ready to re-read more recent purchases (plus any new ones I may buy. (:oops:)

I don't do as much lacemaking now as I used to but I have started making a lace handkerchief for my daughter for her wedding and I'm thankful that she put off the date for the wedding until April next year which gives me plenty of time to finish it. I spend a lot of time on the computer, too ........
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby caroljoyce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 am

All I do to keep my brain active is read lightweight novels and come on here.
Is that enough I wonder? :dunno:
caroljoyce

Postby Maywalk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:44 am

Can we see a photo of the finished item when its finished please Hazel?
I for one would like to see it.
Maywalk

Postby Maywalk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 am

Well if your happy to do that Carol then that is your choice.
If you get stimulation from reading lightweight novels then so be it. :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Postby Jann » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:49 am

I'm a bit like Carol I suppose except I like humorous books,do the occasional crossword,we have a daily paper delivered so of course I read that,and various mags....in my previous life I was sat at a desk all day and was my brain taxed there :tantrum2:
Jann

Postby mo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Gosh the hours in a day is not long enough for me.I have soo many hobbies.

Surfing the net

Reading autobiographies.

Watercolour painting

Designing and selling greeting cards on E.bay

Playing Scrabble on Facebook.... 17 live games. Not great but love the challenge.

Writing the odd short story

Once a week going out to lunch with twin sis Dorrie. We both take it in turns to find a nice pub out in the country

Getting dressed up one evening at the weekend to meet up with family and friends to watch our youngest daughter and partner singing in the local pubs.

In between of all of that..... having our youngest Granddaughter Amelie aged three and a half stay one night a week and making scones or cakes with her.

Eh and managing to get the house clean and tidy with help from my beloved.

Older Life is great if you have your faculties
Last edited by mo on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mo

Postby Jann » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 pm

mo wrote:Gosh the hours in a day is not long enough for me.
I have soo many hobbies.

Surfing the net

Reading autobiographies.

Watercolour painting

Designing and selling greeting cards on E.bay

Playing Scrabble on Facebook.... 17 live games. Not great but love the challenge.

Writing the odd short story

Once a week going out to lunch with twin sis Dorrie. We both take it in turns to find a nice pub out in the country

Getting dressed up one day at the weekend to meet up with family and friends to watch our youngest daughter and partner singing in the local pubs.

In between of all of that..... having our youngest Granddaughter Amelie three stay one night a week and making scones or cakes with her.

Life is great.

Oh Mo I too do all of those things and possibly more,but I thought we were discussing mind improvers :groaner: :banana: :roflmao:
Jann

Next

Return to Anything Goes