Sorry if I seem to ignore..........

Except Personal Attacks

Sorry if I seem to ignore..........

Postby vannin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:12 am

Sorry if I seemed to turn a blind eye to topics lately.
August into September was a tricky time, and though I looked in most days, communication felt beyond me. Between August 6 and 21st, there were three break-in attempts on my back porch door at night-times. The third time when I rang 999 very instantly, seven burly coppers appeared also hyper-promptly. They didn't find anyone.

Well, furious as I was - more than frightened - what I found most daunting of all was the business of sourcing the right burglar alarm, getting it installed, then learning to live with it. The last (nearly) two and a half years, I had many learning curves after 43 years when my DIY husband fixed everything, and indeed would have installed any alarm himself.

Anyway things have settled down, I hope, at present, but I have been having panicky tachydardic spells at night, and reluctantly went on Amitriptiyline.

So, I expect to enter more into the chat of this forum and hope not to have seemed ignoring.

Viv
vannin

Postby ciderman_nz » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:22 am

Thats awful Viv! I hope it's the last attempt ! Not something I've ever experienced but I can imagine the trauma.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby vannin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:51 am

It should have been 'tachyCardic' not tachyDardic, of course!

Thank you Michael. I have to give a wry smile though, because I had been saying boringly to people, how much I would miss the series 'The Bill' when it finished for ever, around the time of all this hassle. It was my favourite programme, and the last series was of the best quality of all.

Little did I know my own personal 'The Bill' would come surrounding the place to conduct a search at night-time. It was quite dark to see their faces but the one in charge, a sergeant, was about seven foot tall - I was in no state to fully appreciate the attraction!!!!! :oops: :oops:

Viv
vannin

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:55 am

Oh that must have been so frightening ... more so because you live alone.
If it were me I'd seriously think about getting myself a comfortably sized dog with a loud bark...it would make me feel safer.

All my sympathy to you Viv. :grouphug:
caroljoyce

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:07 am

Hi Viv hope things have continued to be all quiet on the home front. Remember a full wine rack is a good medicine cabinet.
Victors Mate

Postby vannin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:12 am

Carol, thanks - two other friends suggested the same. But I have confidence in the new alarm. I set it for the nights, and when I go out.........the horrible bleeping of 'set' and 'unset' is intrusive but necessary. I resented having to pay many hundreds of pounds though.

My rescue cat would freak out if a dog arrived! Did you know there is a security light that also barks? :rolleye11: Though my place has always been surrounded by strong security lights - these lowlifes don't seem to care. :twisted: :tantrum2:

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:20 am

VM, often as I type, there is a medicine beside me, but it is a bit early yet at 10.15 a.m. :downhatch:

Having Charlie last weekend meant I summoned all my wits beforehand (I never medicate when he is here) and looked forward so much to his short stay and taking him to town, it made a huge difference to my outlook....and since then too.

Viv
vannin

Postby Corrie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:31 am

How sad to read, I do feel for you. It must be awful to be afraid. We are contemplating a return to the UK and this is one of the things we must consider, here we have absolute peace of mind. We can (and have) left our doors unlocked and never lock the cars on the driveway. I recently read an article by Robert Horsfall the chap who shot and killed the terrorist commander inside the Iranian Embassy who made such sense about the need for an army acadamy to get the UK back on track to better standards of morality and respect. My husband (ex-army) has said this for years..."discipline is what they want!!". Here is a link to Robert Horsfall for anyone interested....

http://www.robinhorsfall.co.uk/

We do ask ourselves just what has gone so very wrong with parenting??
Corrie

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:35 am

The thing with security lights is that they have to be high up where the criminal can't reach it... When we had our burglary they just reached up and twisted it round so they could work in the dark... They took the window out and climbed in. I can't believe we slept through it but we did!!

Like you Viv, we too had an alarm system installed (after the event) ... It does give a feeling of security.
caroljoyce

Postby Monsy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Ocht! sorry to hear you are being targetted by the local ****holes Viv. I do hope the alarm works for you, it must be very traumatic.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby rocky » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:17 pm

[font=Tahoma]How awful, Viv !!

I've never had a break-in ( knock on wood ), but I did have a peeping tom years ago when my kids were small and my husband was gone on one of his 'toots'. I loaded a shotgun ( hate guns, hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em ) and sat with it on my lap waiting for him to try to break in. He didn't, thank heaven.

My kids have always had burglar lights installed, but only one has a two-story house with access being too high for anyone to get to. False sense of security?

Anyway, I'm glad you have the alarm system, though it's no doubt maddening to have to go to that much trouble and expense.

Rocky[/font]
rocky

Postby Dragon Lady » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Oh that is awful, Viv. I hope you are feeling more secure now you have the burglar alarm. Do please make sure you have a couple of trusted neighbours who are key holders in case the alarm should go off when you are away. They appear to be very sensitive and we once had a neighbour's go off in the middle of the night when a spider walked across the sensor! She was asleep upstairs and never heard a thing!
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Rowan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:38 pm

We are all feeling a lot more vulnerable now so it makes sense to have a good alarm system.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby mo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Viv. So very sorry to read about your terrible experience. Something we always worry about. We've had all new double glazing installed with keys and locks, after a friend of mine who lives in Yorkshire was burgled and found it difficult to claim because her house wasn't completely secure from burglers. I would definately have a dog if I lived alone. We had our daughters dog last week and I felt soo safe with her.
mo

Postby Maywalk » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Oh Viv I am SO very sorry to read about the terrible time you have had. I can only echo what the others have said about the new alarm system and I hope you are feeling more secure with it.
Do you have a lifeline? These are NOT just for the elderly.
Mind you its probaby too late now but I will put this on here for anyone to peruse.
I dont have one of these I have one from my local Council which we pay quarterly for.
http://www.laterlife.com/over-50-home-s ... nformation options
Maywalk

Next

Return to Anything Goes