Advice re bean sprouts - Food Office.

Except Personal Attacks

Advice re bean sprouts - Food Office.

Postby Penny » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 pm

An investigation by the Health Protection Agency has now identified 106 cases of Salmonella Bareilly in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since the beginning of August with possible links to raw bean sprouts. Health Protection Scotland has investigated 19 confirmed cases in Scotland during the same period.

The investigation is ongoing and no conclusive source has been identified. However, as a precaution the FSA is reminding people of its advice on preparing and cooking bean sprouts.
FSA adviceThe FSA advises people to:

keep bean sprouts refrigerated
avoid sprouts that have turned brown or have a strange odour
rinse raw bean sprouts thoroughly
follow any instructions on the packaging and use the bean sprouts by the ‘use by’ dates
bean sprouts that are labelled ‘ready to eat’ can be eaten uncooked, as long as they are consumed within the ‘use by’ date
bean sprouts not labelled ‘ready to eat’ should be cooked thoroughly until they are piping hot all the way through
if you are unsure whether the bean sprouts are ‘ready to eat’, or in the absence of clear preparation instructions, always cook the bean sprouts thoroughly before eating. This includes bean sprouts that are labelled or appear ‘pre-washed’, but are not described as ‘ready to eat’

cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Anya » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:52 am

Have you ever sprouted anything, if it isn't a personal question?

I used to sprout various beans, very easy to do, using big old jars and bits of old tights (well washed) for straining :mrgreen:
Anya

Postby Penny » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:28 am

Sorry Anya, a bit slow today, don't get it. :dunno: :thinking: :dunno: Penny
Penny

Postby Rowan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:45 am

She grew her own bean sprouts Penny. Thanks for the info
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Penny » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks Rowan. Had odd remarks about this one. Wondered if I was missing somthing. cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Postby Anya » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:01 am

Sorry Penny, I had a spate of sprouting, all sorts of beans and grains, very simple and easy to do.
Anya

Postby Penny » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:33 am

Not to worry Anya,it was just that people on other forms have made remarks about bean sprouts and I wondered if I had made a cock-up in the notice. cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Return to Anything Goes