Why is it that when I watch T.V.

Except Personal Attacks

Why is it that when I watch T.V.

Postby mo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:49 am

Why do I always nod off every evening when I am watchimg my favourite programs on T.V,
yet when I get into my warm comfortable bed I can't sleep?
mo

Postby Anya » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:21 am

Telly is very soporific, that's a fact. I often sleep through an entire programme - that I particularly wanted to watch - wake up for the last few minutes and realise I have slept through the same programme before. Probably more than once.

Mo - Do you get tired enough, during the day? Usually I try and knit when I watch telly, to stop me going to sleep. Does not always work.
Anya

Postby mazzy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:27 am

I do the same, and it happens when I settle down to read too.

I am lucky though, as most times I sleep like a log at night too.
When I was a child they said I was like a dormouse - always sleepy.

I consider it a blessing, as on the odd occasion when I do have trouble sleeping I realise how horrible it is.
mazzy

Postby Rowan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:53 pm

I have terrible trouble sleeping at night but nod off watching telly all the time.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby mo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Funny though we have a telly in the bedroom, but watching that just doesn't make me sleep.
Thankfully, being retired allows me to catch up on my sleep any time of the day.....but I don't want to be sleeping in the day and making cakes or ironing at a ridiculas hour of the morning.
I want to sleep at night.
Bill is a poppet and never ever moans when I fidget or get in and out of bed.... but then he sleeps soo soundly he probably doesn't hear a thing.... Lucky begger. :roflmao:
mo

Postby vannin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Mo, if you have had wine with your evening meal...........I find that 'with the onset of age' wine makes me fall asleep while watching the late progs (downstairs as there is not tv in my bedroom) before bedtime, then I find myself wide-awake through parts of the niight.

I think I must move the secondary TV from the guest room to my room. That should have been an obvious course of action a while ago!

Viv
vannin

Postby rocky » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:34 pm

[font=Tahoma]Anya says she knits in the evening. I do as well ... knit or crochet.

I have a TV at bedside, but I only turn it on as I jump ( make that "crawl" ) into bed in time to watch the late news. Soon as that's over, the TV is off.

Somehow that acts as a "trigger" telling my brain it's time to go to sleep.

The trigger idea does work. When I was working I had an antique clock, pendulum clock, with "chime" ( it was more like a "bong, bong" ). When I heard that clock strike 11 o'clock, I fell immediately to sleep.[/font]
rocky

Postby mo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:26 pm

Vannin. We eat our main meal and a couple of glasses of wine lunchtime. I only have a sandwhich or a piece of cake of an evening, as going to bed on a full stomach makes me feel so uncomfortable.
I have a built in body clock when I do manage to get a little sleep,
I wake up exactly the same times in the night almost to the minute.
The doctor gave me some tablets to make me feel drowsy, but in the morning I felt spaced out so I stopped taking them.
mo

Postby Rowan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Sounds like me Mo
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby caroljoyce » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:28 am

I don't fall asleep while I'm eating (haven't yet anyway) so if I want to stay awake and watch TV I cut a carrot up into tiny cubes and nibble them.
One big carrot can last me an hour and while my jaws are moving I don't drop off!

If Tony sees me nodding he gives me a nudge and tells me to fetch a carrot. :mrgreen:
caroljoyce

Postby Anya » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:03 am

Mo - Having such trouble sleeping, may be worth finding out if there's a sleep laboratory in your area? I don't think it costs anything and it is greatly helps their research if people join.

They monitor what happens in your brain when you try to sleep and give you a programme to 'retrain' into better sleep patterns, at night, rather than in daytime.
Anya

Postby vannin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:10 am

Since the August trouble with break-in attempts at night-time, I became too jumpy to sleep well, with a few panic attacks even after the burglar alarm was installed.

I was prescribed the lowest dosage, 10 mgs, of Amiytriptyline. This is the second month I am supposed to be taking it, but the unwanted effects increase. These are dry mouth and slight hangover. Worst of all, palpitations and rapid heartbeat when I go to bed. The doctor actually said these are all known side effects which sounds potty because it feels like the tachycardia of the panic attacks. This week I have sidelined the sedative in favour of Kalms and had some much better nights.

Viv
vannin

Postby Victors Mate » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 am

A couple of "Large economy" size G & Ts works.
It doesn't help you to sleep but you no longer care.
Victors Mate

Postby Jann » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:48 am

Or perhaps a couple of glasses of the grape,red preferably and is good for you so they say... :dance:
Jann

Postby mo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:51 am

Amiytriptyline is what was given to me Vannin and as I said, I was like a zombie the next day, almost walking around in a dream.
That sounds interesting Anya. If there is one in our area, I will certainly find out about it.
Sounds good Carol. I agree one doesn't fall asleep while eating.
mo

Next

Return to Anything Goes