For the first time we are eating out on Christmas Day.

Except Personal Attacks

For the first time we are eating out on Christmas Day.

Postby mo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:17 pm

I never ever thought I would be happy eating out on Christmas Day as I so enjoy cooking, but it can be soo tiring when you have so many to cook for, so the family suggested we all eat out at a restaurant .
At first I wasn't happy but thinking about it, it may be a great idea.
Our youngest daughter, partner and our youngest granddaughter Amelie of nearly 4 years will be staying the night with us, so I will have loads of precious time watching her and playing with her all morning before we go to the hotel where usually Christmas morning I'm up to my neck in cooking.
We will go back after our meal and have a good rest, then I can prepare the tea for all of those that will be coming.
Anyway, I deserve a break....after all it is my birthday on Christmas Day and that is the day I usually work the hardest :fing:
mo

Postby vannin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 pm

I have decided to book into a very good place locally for our Christmas meal this year and my daughter agrees it sounds good.

How is Amelie now, Mo?

Viv
vannin

Postby Corrie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Oh you so deserve a break if its your birthday too! We never ate out Christmas Day either until we came to France and have 3 times now (at a friends Bistro), the menu for this year has just come out (below) but we're at home and will stick with our 3 courses!!!!. This year there's just the 2 of us! Do what we want, when we want, watch what we want!!!

CHRISTMAS 2010

Welcome with mulled wine

Cognac fizz

- - - - -

Carrot and orange soup

- - - - -

Tomato soufflé with parmesan topping on a bed of leaves

- - - - -

Mixed seafood or four cheese ravioli in a rich tomato and port sauce

- - - - -

Succulent breast of turkey with cranberry and brandy sauce and
Roast pork with apple sauce and a sage and onion stuffing
or
Festive butternut squash and Roquefort cheese pie
Roast and creamed potatoes
Brussels sprouts with chestnuts in a Clementine butter
Honey mustard carrots, parsnips and shallots
minted petit pois

- - - - -

A selection of fine cheeses served with a glass of port

- - - - -

A trio of desserts
Christmas pudding with a brandy sauce
Raspberry and sherry trifle
Caramelised Clementine

- - - - -

Homemade mince pies

- - - - -

Coffee, homemade chocolates and digestif

- - - - -

Please book early to avoid disappointment
Corrie

Postby caroljoyce » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Gosh corrie! ... After all that lot you'll be stuffed!

I ate out last Christmas day ... and the year before too. It was with my son, his fiance and little girl... also her parents. There were 7 of us altogether, it was nice and jolly and it was lovely not having to cook.
This year her parents are having their son to Christmas lunch so I invited my son and family to come to us. Looks like I'll be cooking but it's only for five so it wont exhaust me too much.
I also have 2 daughters but it's been years since we've shared Christmas lunch with either of them. One daughter likes to be just with her partner and sons but invites us for the evening when we have a jolly present exchanging session. My other daughter always has her mother in law as she's a widow and never invites us.

The only time my entire family are gathered together is Christmas eve when they all come to my house for a buffet party. Counting grandchildren and their partners it makes around 20 of them.
caroljoyce

Postby Corrie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:50 pm

"The only time my entire family are gathered together is Christmas eve when they all come to my house for a buffet party. Counting grandchildren and their partners it makes around 20 of them."

That sounds very French caroljoyce! Just what they do here, and then on the stroke of midnight they open their presents.

You are right too, we are stuffed, toooo stuffed and we're sitting from 1pm through to 6.30pm (ish).
Corrie

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Last year my son-in-law cooked Christmas Dinner for us - this year my youngest daughter's future father-in-law has invited us all for Christmas Dinner but I'm not sure who will be cooking since he is a widower.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Victors Mate » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I'll let you into a secret Hazel, it might be a surprise to you but some widowers can cook. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:56 pm

We ate out last Christmas but I wasn't terribly impressed and it was horrifically expensive. This year sister's house and nieces cooking - Davy to get Santa outfit!!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Ho! Ho! Ho! have I got a surprise for Evie.
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Well it won't be me cooking - some widowers may be able to cook but here's one we wummin who can't. :roflmao:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Victors Mate wrote:I'll let you into a secret Hazel, it might be a surprise to you but some widowers can cook. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I know that, VM ! :cheeky4: ..... but he just doesn't seem to be the type especially since his son doesn't have a clue about cooking. :mrgreen:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby mo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:30 pm

vannin wrote:I have decided to book into a very good place locally for our Christmas meal this year and my daughter agrees it sounds good.

How is Amelie now, Mo?

Viv

Hi Viv.
Thank you for enquiring about Amelie.
So far so good.
She has to have an injection of some sort of Chemo in her leg every Monday at Addenbookes Hospital, this will be for two years but they have taken her off the steroids.
She does get the odd pain in her knee at times, which the doctors have said this is normal as she does have Reumatism in the left knee, but thankfully it isn't spreading.
It is so nice to see little Amelies weight going down and her face not looking soo puffy due to the steroids. She is also a lot calmer and not so irritable.
The doctors want her to do plenty of exercise which is good for the leg as long as she doesn't overdo things. She has swimming ,ballet and tap lessons which she thoroughly enjoys.
mo

Postby vannin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 pm

That is good news, Mo. Coming off the steroids was an important step, because too often we hear they are 'for life'. I hope she keeps up the good improvement, bless her.

Viv
vannin

Postby Rowan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:24 pm

Glad to hear things are getting aa little better for her. I just hate to hear of wee ones being sick or ill. :grouphug:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby mo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:31 am

Thank you Viv and Evie.
mo

Next

Return to Anything Goes