Fear of flying.

Except Personal Attacks

Fear of flying.

Postby caroljoyce » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:49 am

Has anybody let fear of flying prevent them going somewhere?

Has anybody never flown because of fear.

Has anybody any cures or tips that help.

No it isn't me... it's my hubby. He's agreed for my sake to go to America next year but absolutely hates flying. His face goes white and he clenches his knuckles when we take off. When in the air he has an aisle seat and never looks through the window... he likes to pretend he's on a bus... So far we've only done short flights ... I suggested maybe a tranquilizer from the doctors but he won't.
caroljoyce

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:56 am

If you Google "Fear of Flying" you'll come up with a lot of advice including a forum.

Also a hard to read book by Erica Jong.
Victors Mate

Postby caroljoyce » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 am

How about you VM? ..... Do you fear it?
caroljoyce

Postby Jann » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:52 am

Hello Carol

If you reassure your husband that he will be fine ...... I flew to America on my own a couple of years ago...I travelled to Heathrow by the link bus,took me straight to the terminal four...I browsed the shops,had some lunch,kept my eye on the information for my plane....a great experience and to have my son waiting for me at the other end was a delight....had two weeks there,had a great time,came back almost the same way as I went.... :banana: :banana:
Jann

Postby Maywalk » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Its not fear of flying with me Carol its the pain in my ears. They bleed giving me terrific pain.
My hearing was damaged severely during the blitz.
I did fly once but spent the whole time feeling poorly and wanting to bash my head against the wall with the pain and that was only to Jersey.
Enough to put me off for life.
That is why I have never ventured to try it again.
Maywalk

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:38 pm

caroljoyce wrote:How about you VM? ..... Do you fear it?

During my National Service I worked on Radar mainly involved in GCIs (Ground Control Interceptions) actually seeing what went on up there and the mistakes made even in those, by today's standards, relatively uncrowded skies did not leave me with much enthusiasm for flying or any great belief in its safety.

Wherever possible I prefer to make the journey part of the holiday. After all it is, in my view, far better to drive through, say, Switzerland rather that fly over it.
Victors Mate

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Maywalk wrote:Its not fear of flying with me Carol its the pain in my ears. They bleed giving me terrific pain.
My hearing was damaged severely during the blitz.
I did fly once but spent the whole time feeling poorly and wanting to bash my head against the wall with the pain and that was only to Jersey.
Enough to put me off for life.
That is why I have never ventured to try it again.

Its not fear of flying for most people Maisie, It is the fear that flying might abruptly stop.
Victors Mate

Postby mo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Bill hates flying, probably remembers when he was in the forces and flew below the storm in an old prop plane.
We have been abroad a few times but it hasn't been pleasant flying due to hubbies fear.
mo

Postby Rowan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:24 pm

I am terrified but did it to get the warm holidays. No danger of flying nowadays, can't afford the bliddy insurance!! Davy's arm used to be black and blue with me clinging to him like a limpet!! :oops:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Rest assured they have never ever left anybody up there - - - - - - yet.
Victors Mate

Postby Anya » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:19 am

Carol - Each airport has special advice and facilities for that very problem. Might be worth giving them a ring.

The first time I flew, in my teens, I was nervous. The cabin crew were chatting about having flown already three times - just that day - and suddenly I realised how many millions of flights take place, safely, all over the world and how few accidents happen. Compared to thousands of road casualties and injuries, every single year. From that moment, I always enjoyed flying.

After I had children, if I had to fly alone, I bought extra insurance. I still do that. If the plane drops like a boulder, at least they will have plenty of money, to cushion the blow.
Anya

Postby mazzy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:27 am

I hate it! Even a flight from Southampton to Glasgow terrified me - until about halfway into the journey (and 2 G&T's) then I could actually look out of the window.

Was still frightened on the return journey, but again 'relaxed' into it.

My friends made the cabin crew aware that I was nervous and they were excellent.
mazzy

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 am

I love taking off and landing but it is the bits in between that I find boring.

The first time I flew back to the UK we landed at Bangkok, Athens, Amsterdam and then finally Manchester. The second time was Kuala Lumpur and then Manchester and the last time was South Korea and the long long 13 1/2 hour flight from Incheon to Heathrow.

I will be up for another marathon next April - over 13 hours from Sydney to San Francisco and then over another hour to Vegas with the return leg from LA to Sydney taking over 14 hours.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 am

A few years ago on a flight back from Portugal, there I was sitting with Tony, talking to him, trying to keep his mind active, when suddenly a woman a few rows behind us started screaming and trying to stand up on her seat. The hostess rushed to her and calmed her down then she bough her to sit with us where she could keep an eye on her ... We had the leg room seat opposite where the hostess sits when we land and there was an empty seat beside me.

Oh lucky me, I had two of them to calm down on that flight. Actually I think this woman's panic attack helped Tony take his mind off his own fear.
When we landed at the East Midlands Airport, she thanked us for putting up with her and vowed she'd never fly again.
caroljoyce

Postby dejavou » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm

I just find flying boring, but it's a necessary evil if I'm to see all the places I want to see, unless I win the Lottery, then it will be cruising for me, a much more civilised way of travel :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Next

Return to Anything Goes