Fun

Except Personal Attacks

Fun

Postby vannin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:42 pm

This is from a newspaper interview with Ann Widdecombe. As it is an interview in 'Life' section, I have not the back-up of a link - maybe you will take my word(s) for it.

"Well, I spent 23 years in politics and bits of that were FUN. But even when you're having FUN, there's a hugely serious side to it. It really matters.
Dancing? Doesn't matter at all. So if you define FUN as simply enjoying yourself, well, I enjoyed many aspects of politics.

But if you define FUN as frivolity, and nothing depends on it, then I don't know when I last had that............This sort of prolonged frivolity (Strictly Come Dancing) is something I haven't had since - I don't know - Oxford days I suppose."

FUN really is a revelation to Widdecombe. I can't imagine she came across many men like Anton du Beke in politics, but I wish she had for this is the sort of charm she once dreamed of.

'Have FUN! Dance! It's not a world war!"

When I first read this, I thought there was a note of desperation behind it - y'know: The lady doth protest too much? I now realise that her politician's wilyness is seeing the whole extravaganza of the reality programmes for what they are, and is playing it to the hilt. She is out to win, in her FUN! The prog has become more an entertainment show than a dance show and the public is keeping her in it because we can see through the whole charade. She may well win.

(The upper case is mine not the newspaper's.)

Viv
Below is from a different article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -step.html
vannin

Postby Rowan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:13 pm

Loved the whole article Viv. I think its great that the older women are doing so well and having fun. I admire Ann Widdecombe for taking part and I hope she IS having fun.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby caroljoyce » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:41 pm

I admire her for taking part too.
caroljoyce

Postby dejavou » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 pm

I also think she has bottle for taking part, and she takes the judges insults without a blink, giving back as good as she gets.

I think Anton was probably horrified when he drew her as a partner, but I think he can see he's not done too badly with the partnership :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby sweetpea » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:43 pm

I think she is enjoying taking part too. I read that her brother passed away recently, but no mention was made and she has carried on regardless, or perhaps she was estranged from him.
sweetpea

Postby vannin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:22 pm

No, I heard she was devoted to him, and is very close to his son.

Viv
vannin

Postby mo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Ann Widdicombe makes Strictly come dancing for me. I have always found her entertaining and on this show she is soo funny. Yes keep her in for the entertainment side of it. After all, all of the contestants are stars in there own right and at the end of it all the money goes to charity, so Ann's charity is just as worthy as any of the others.
mo

Postby sweetpea » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:34 pm

vannin wrote:No, I heard she was devoted to him, and is very close to his son.

Viv

That's good to know - it must have been hard for her to keep going over the last few weeks - one brave lady.
sweetpea

Postby Anya » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:12 am

The million quid of licence payers' money she received, for taking part, probably helped
:mrgreen:
Anya

Postby Dragon Lady » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Anne took time out of SCD to attend her brother's funeral.

Along with several of my friends I have recently been contacted by a reporter for a Sunday Newspaper asking for telephone numbers of ex members of staff (including her dancing teacher) so she could ring them and ask what they thought of her dancing skills. She also asked about dancing schools in Bath which she might have attended. I mentioned The Goodyear School of Dance which was the most popular. She will be hard pressed to find it - it closed down years ago.

As to the teachers - we are saying NOTHING!
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby mazzy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:11 am

She makes me laugh - she is just so clever.

I would love to meet her - can't say that about many of the others, except maybe Matt Baker. He has been a bit of a surprise.

However, as it is really a Dancing Competition, I don't really think she should win, but for entertainment value she is excellent.
mazzy

Postby dejavou » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:46 am

That's the whole point Mazzy, it's television, so should be entertainment, bugger the competition, they are all getting paid for appearing and the winner gets a prize for their charity ..... we merely want to be entertained and sometimes the TV people forget that's the whole purpose of the 'cretins candle'

Me I watch what I like, I try not to impose my views on others, nor do I belittle others who have different tastes to mine, which is why I can say with feeling .... I THINK ANN IS DOING A STIRLING JOB :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby mazzy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Dejavou says :

"Me I watch what I like, I try not to impose my views on others, nor do I belittle others who have different tastes to mine"

Well said - my feelings exactly.
mazzy

Postby Corrie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:57 pm

I think she would have made a fine Prime Minister myself.
Corrie

Postby Rowan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Don't know about that - she is a tory after all!!

Her charity needs the money just as much as any other - its not as if she gets to keep it for herself.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Anything Goes