Can anyone help???????

Except Personal Attacks

Can anyone help???????

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:58 am

I have got to the age now where I am sorting out stuff that I can no longer be bothered with.
While clearing out stuff I came across this brooch below that was given to me over
45 years ago by a work colleague who looked on me as a replacement for her mother.
She got most upset when I told her that I didn't want anything just for being there when she needed someone so I took it to appease her.
It had in fact belonged to her mother and although I cant say that I like it I am loathe to get rid of it by just passing it on to a charity shop without finding out if it is of any value. Its been in an old purse all these years because I never fancied wearing it. I am NOT the sort of person who likes weariing jewellery of any sort because I dont even wear my wedding and engagement rings. They irritate me.
I dont think its worth anything because although its very bright and shiny on the back I cant see any hallmarks on it but if you look closely it has an arrow of some description engraved on it.
I cant get out by myself now since all this business started with me blacking out so I just wondered if any one knew of somewhere on line where I could send the photo of it to mainly to find out if it has any value.
IF it has I will pass it on to my favourite charity which is the Childrens Rainbows Hospice where I live.
If its of no value I will pass it on to a charity shop where I suppose someone will take a fancy to it.

Maywalk

Postby Corrie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 am

It looks to be a nice brooch Maisie, if I were in your shoes I'd ask your lovely grand-daughter or daughter in law to take it into a jewellers. Even if it has no value its worth the trip just in case it has!
Corrie

Postby Penny » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:59 pm

It looks lovely Maisie, before you decide to ditch, see if grandaughter would like it.. I kbow I would. It is very pretty,, lovely stones. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Rowan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Definitely have it checked out Maisie and also ask your d-i-l and granddaughter if they would like it.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby rocky » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:15 pm

[font=Tahoma]Very interesting, Maisie.
I lived for almost 25 years in Arizona and the turquoise looks
much like the "Bisbee Blue" mined in southern Arizona.
However, no Indian would've set stones in gold or in silver with
a gold wash, so I'm guessing it could be turquoise from the
Middle East or China. Not a valuable piece, but very pretty.
Pity it isn't signed or hallmarked. [/font]
rocky

Postby Dragon Lady » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:49 pm

Turquoise broaches, rings, etc were, as I remember, quite fashionable in the 60s - so it has some small value to a collector I would think. Its very pretty anyway and doubtless one of the charity shops would be happy to have it.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Re: Can anyone help???????

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 pm

[quote="Maywalk"]I have got to the age now where I am sorting out stuff that I can no longer be bothered with.
While clearing out stuff I came across this brooch below that was given to me over
45 years ago by a work colleague who looked on me as a replacement for her mother.
She got most upset when I told her that I didn't want anything just for being there when she needed someone so I took it to appease her.
It had in fact belonged to her mother and although I cant say that I like it I am loathe to get rid of it by just passing it on to a charity shop without finding out if it is of any value. Its been in an old purse all these years because I never fancied wearing it. I am NOT the sort of person who likes weariing jewellery of any sort because I dont even wear my wedding and engagement rings. They irritate me.
I dont think its worth anything because although its very bright and shiny on the back I cant see any hallmarks on it but if you look closely it has an arrow of some description engraved on it.
I cant get out by myself now since all this business started with me blacking out so I just wondered if any one knew of somewhere on line where I could send the photo of it to mainly to find out if it has any value.
IF it has I will pass it on to my favourite charity which is the Childrens Rainbows Hospice where I live.
If its of no value I will pass it on to a charity shop where I suppose someone will take a fancy to it.

Maywalk

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:34 pm

SO SORRY FOLKS.
I have just called in here and realised that the photos were too big and I have tried to rectify it but made a bigger cock up than ever.
Trust me to do something like that. :roll: :roll:

Thanks though for the replies. Having asked my granddaughter and d-i-l neither of them want it so its going to charity.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:04 am

I'm going to look through my jewellery soon too. I never wear any of it and the girls prefer silver.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Return to Anything Goes