Seeing a show.

Except Personal Attacks

Seeing a show.

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 am

Tomorrow night I've got tickets for the Opera House at York to see 'Dreamboats and Petticoats' I'm really looking forward to it ... Has anybody seen it?

It got me wondering how many of our members enjoy going to the theatre? When was the last time you went and what was it to see?
caroljoyce

Postby Penny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:41 am

Hope you have a wnderful evening. I could live in the theatre. Don't get there at all these days but last show I went to see was Chicago. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Jann » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:21 pm

I was only at the Theatre last Saturday Carol........Pomegranate in Chesterfield where I am a friend of the Theatre,love it......Bruce James productions of " Don't dress for dinner " I go with a girl friend on a regular basis...
http://www.pomegranatetheatre.co.uk/
:banana: :banana: :banana:
Jann

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 pm

I go to the theatre several times a year. Our Arts Theatre in Cronulla has 4 productions a year as has another theatre group in Sutherland, the next suburb to me. I don't think I have seen a bad production from either group in all the 30 odd years I have been going to see them.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Anya » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:02 am

Always had a passion for the theatre, anything from serious plays to musicals, used to go to London regularly, stay overnight, take in a show. I don't do that so much now but keep an eye on the local theatres for anything interesting.

Silliest thing I ever did, bought two tickets for the last EVER concert by Fascinating Aida. It was a lovely day, friend and I decided to walk on the cliffs, before returning for the theatre.

The pub was not serving food until 7 pm, so we dawdled around and then had a meal.

At which point we remembered the theatre. Forty quid down the swanee.
Anya

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:00 am

We were at the theatre in that there London 2 weeks ago and saw War Horse. This was a really great show and highly recommended to all. I believe someone is making a film about this but it wont be as good as the show.
Steve

Postby Jann » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:53 am

This where I will be with my daughter this coming Sunday....

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 14792.html
Jann

Postby mo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I love the theatre, but only go to the London ones. Haven't been for a while. The last show I saw was My Fair Lady. I loved it.
Musicals are my favourite.
mo

Postby Dragon Lady » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:55 am

The last time I went to the theatre was in September to see "An Evening with Pam Ayres" - fantastic!
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:10 am

Its a long time since I went to the theatre or the cinema come to that BUT I am NOT very good at sitting still for long.

I do go to see the shows that are put on by the dancing school once a year that my lovely d-i-l helps with every week, but that could hardly be regarded as anything remotely like a theatre even although it is a proper stage production. My d-i-l books me a seat near an entrance so that I can get up to walk about a bit. :lol:
Maywalk

Postby caroljoyce » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Of all the musicals I’ve seen Dreamboats and Petticoats shares 1st place with Buddy as being the ones I’ve enjoyed the most.
The story revolves around a group of teenagers who belong to a youth club somewhere in Essex.
The lead character is Bobby. His one dream is to own an electric guitar and join a group. He’s also a thwarted song writer. He tells everyone he’s written a song for Roy Orbison and sent it to him. Even enclosed a stamped addresses envelope but Roy never replied. That got a laugh. There was also reference to the new motorway that had just opened (M1) and the new TV soap called Coronation Street. The year was 1961.
It’s about the life and loves of the teenagers who go to the youth club and Bobby’s efforts to write a song for a National competition. He teams up with Laura (she’s sweet on him) and together they write a song for the competition and enter it.
There’s lots of song and dance... all the great music from that era
How many of these do you remember?
Let’s dance.
The Wanderer.
To know him is to love him
Good timing.
You won’t catch me crying.
Dream baby.
Shakin all over.
In dreams.
Bobbys girl.
Little town flirt.
Sweet nothin’s.
Who’s sorry now.
Poetry in motion.
It’s only make believe.
Do you wanna dance.
Only the lonely.
Dream lover.
Teenager in love.
It’s my party.
Only sixteen.
Happy birthday sweet sixteen.
Great pretender.
Oh Donna.

When it comes to the finals of the song writing competition, Bobby & Laura’s song wins. It’s called Dreamboats and petticoats. They sing it together and at the end the curtain goes down to thunderous applause. Then something really brilliant happened, the curtain rose again and the characters on stage addressed the audience, inviting them to stand up sing, clap and dance. They then did three extra numbers, Let’s twist again. C’mon everybody. At the hop.
Almost all the audience were on their feet (me included) bopping and doing the twist. When the curtain finally went down everybody was smiling as they queued to leave the theatre.
A really brilliant evening.
caroljoyce

Return to Anything Goes