The problem with ageing

Except Personal Attacks

The problem with ageing

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Just a few years ago I used to be able to hold a list in my head and flow from job to job, chore to chore but now a mere handful of years later I have lost this ability now it is a constant question what did I plan to do next?

I find this a most frustrating part of ageing mainly because if anything goes wrong finding the time to deal with it is in itself a major undertaking.

What aspects of ageing do you find most difficult to deal with?
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Deterioration of eyesight and the memory thing
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Maywalk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Dont let it worry you VM it happens to all of us.

I think the most difficult part for me at the moment is NOT being able to venture out on my own anymore due to the damn blackouts that I have had.
I dont want to worry my lovely family by going against their wishes and going out on my own just in case I have any more.
Its ok if someone is with me who knows how to use the special recorder that I have to carry with me. This has to be put on a loop recorder that has been inserted in my chest, which is something like a pacemaker, if I have any attacks.

Its most frustrating and embarrassing having to rely on others and I feel as though I have LOST my independence. :evil:
Maywalk

Postby Anya » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:23 am

Maisie - it must be truly frustrating for you and I do hope a solution is found, very soon. If it is epilepsy, must be possible to find the right medication.

As for memory loss, many studies show that people - of any age - THINK they have memory problems but often it is because we all go on 'automatic', for many tasks and activities in life. We do some things, every day, over and over again and the brain stops taking any notice.

Making mental lists can be very useful, writing notes (I write notes and shopping lists, then forget to take them with me), learning to really think and observe what we do and why. Anything that breaks the 'automatic' mode. Callisthenics for the brain :magnify:
Anya

Postby Maywalk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:48 am

Many thanks Anya.
I have suggested that I might have started with Epilepsy but the medical team does not seem to think so.
My doctor is writing to the consultant to suggest a brain scan just to rule out the possibility, that is IF they can find a brain to work on. :roflmao:

I find as I get older I tend to put things away safe and then forget where I have put them. I had such a hunt the other day looking for a present that I had bought my son for Christmas. I found it in the end, when I was NOT looking for it. :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Postby Jann » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:43 am

Yesterday I went out with a number of friends for lunch,we all pay our own way,but when I got home for the life of me could I remember where my money had gone to...it was only when I wrote the cost down this morning did I account for it.....mind I did have a couple of glasses of the grape. :rolleye11:
Jann

Postby mazzy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Similar problems with forgetting things - but I hate the fact that if I want to get on the floor to look for something, or clean something, I have to make sure there is something to hold on to to get up!

Oh, lots of somethings there - is that another symptom of ageing....or just laziness :-)
mazzy

Postby Corrie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:15 pm

I take Vitamin B which was a tip given to me some time ago and covered on the Beeb news recently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11232356
Corrie

Postby Penny » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:34 pm

What aspects of ageing do I find most difficult to deal with. The answer in my case is simple, hubby. cheers Penny :twisted: :sunglasses:
Penny

Postby Jann » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Me too Penny,grumpy owd sod :cheeky4: :cheeky4: :cheeky4:
Jann

Postby Vince » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Mine is putting my tools down and not remembering were I used them last.
Vince

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:18 am

As I get older I find my forgetory is improving at the same rate as my memory is deteriorating
Victors Mate

Postby rocky » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:27 pm

mazzy wrote:Similar problems with forgetting things - but I hate the fact that if I want to get on the floor to look for something, or clean something, I have to make sure there is something to hold on to to get up!

[font=Tahoma]You really hit on it, Mazzy. I've given up getting down on the floor to do any cleaning ... mops and vacuums, but baseboards be da*ned.[/font]
rocky

Postby Old-n » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Memories
Who says my mind has gone away
I see my youth there every day
I replay my life where none can go
I meet the friends who've had to go

So don't tell me I'm getting old
And now must do just what I'm told
I laugh and play inside my head
And wander paths that once I tread

So when it seems I am not there