I am sick of charities standing outside of Sainsburys with

Except Personal Attacks

I am sick of charities standing outside of Sainsburys with

Postby mo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:53 pm

I pay quite a lot a month for charities so refuse to put extra money in to the charity boxes that folk hold up each time you enter the supermarket shop. Trouble is I feel a skin flint when I walk past without paying.
mo

Postby Penny » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Join the queue Mo. We are the same here. Very annoying. We also have callers at the door. Hubby usually says, we support three charites from home so don't feel obliged to add to any more. Thinking about it we support more than three but prefer to do that privately like you. cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Postby drogo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:08 pm

I don't mind charity boxes outside supermarkets. It's the chuggers I don't like.
drogo

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:50 pm

I don't support any charity on a regular basis so if I feel like dropping a coin in their box I will.... especially if it's for a charity I sympathise with. if I don't feel like it I walk straight past, it doesn't bother me.
What does bother me slightly are the Big Issue sellers, I always walk past them but somehow I feel more guilty ignoring them...
caroljoyce

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:30 pm

I donate regularly to Leukaemia Research and MIND and apart from a poppy and wings day I walk past the rest. Anything of value I want to get rid off goes to Salvation Army or Break.
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:08 pm

I have the charities I give to every month with extra at Christmas. I do give to the odd one in the street but I hate the ones outside the supermarkets - Sainsbury are quite bad for it.

I also give to the charity shops and places that take furniture.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby jollyjack » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:57 pm

I thought it was just me. I also get slightly irritated by the clubs who ask to pack your bags, don't mind if it is wee ones saving for something special, but last week in M&S it was an adult rugby club who were packing and rattling their cans.
jollyjack

Postby Rowan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:59 pm

The guides and some schools pack bags here too and you don't mind giving to them, its the ones who are right in your face...and sometimes you've never heard of the charity.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Anya » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 am

There is less and less control over charities and many have become fraudulent scams, with as little as three percent of all money donated going to the 'cause' and very poor auditing.

We are all fully justified in picking and choosing - if and where - to give money and to check how the charities are run.

On a regular basis, I support the children's hospice, the RNLI and one or two more ... when other 'charities' come to the door, or shove tins under my nose, I smile pleasantly and tell them that.
Anya

Postby vannin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:04 pm

jollyjack wrote:I thought it was just me. I also get slightly irritated by the clubs who ask to pack your bags, don't mind if it is wee ones saving for something special, but last week in M&S it was an adult rugby club who were packing and rattling their cans.

Since 1973, our town carol-singing has supported the cancer charities. However we are mindful of what is in their papwerwork every year - the paragraph that says it is actually illegal to shake/ rattle collecting tins or 'shove under people's noses'. The good people who hold the collection tins to collect for it, just stand still with a nice smile for the public! The tins get filled just the same!

Viv
vannin

Return to Anything Goes