Do you give a tip at Christmas time?

Except Personal Attacks

Do you give a tip at Christmas time?

Postby mo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Years ago the boxes were on all of the counters at Christmas time waiting for the good customers to fill it up.

The other day, when Bill collected our take away Chinese meal, the assistant gave him the change, then grabbed a box at the end of the counter and placed it right in front of him.
Because of the way she acted, Bill completely ignored her and as he was leaving the shop, he heard her mumbling. :rolleye11:
mo

Postby caroljoyce » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Years ago it seemed to be tradition... The binmen got tipped and the postman and the paper boy etc. Nowadays we don't have a paper delivered ... and as for the binmen and postman , we never see them... plus, why should we tip them when they don't do so much for us... We have to take our own bins out now... AND bring them back!! So No I don't tip much at all ... one exception is my hairdresser. If I have a trim due near to Christmas time I give her a tip. It just seems the right thing to do. I'm actually booked in for a trim the week before Christmas so she'll be getting one. My trim cost's £14.50... I give her £20 and tell her to keep the change ... She's my regular girl and I never tip her at any other time.... Is that too much do you think?
caroljoyce

Postby dejavou » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Wouldn't tip the bin men (except perhaps buy them a yard brush :twisted: ) I always tip the chap who delivers the evening paper, come rain or shine but other than that my cash stays in my purse :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Tip? Dobbin in the 3:30 at Chepstow.
Victors Mate

Postby mo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:07 pm

I will tip my postman, as he comes to me such a lot with parcels etc which I order on line.
mo

Postby Rowan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:20 pm

I only tip the hairdresser, taxis and when out for a meal nowadays. Used to tip bin men, postie and paperboy. Get milk and papers from the supermarket these days and no regular postman.

I usually tip hairdressers £5 on top of hair cost - depends on service by taxis and waiters
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I don't tip at Christmas those such as the lady who cuts my hair, the man who supplies my eggs and my cleaner I regard as friends and buy them a proper present.
Victors Mate

Postby Maywalk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:53 pm

I am extremely lucky because I have my hairdresser call every week and YES I do tip her. I will also put extra in her Christmas card.

My cleaner will get also have a Christmas card with £5 in it.

I dont tip anyone else because I dont have anything delivered, only the post.
Maywalk

Postby Penny » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:49 pm

I do the same as Maisie, put my tip in a christmas card and leave it with either the name or such as (paperboy) on, cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Postby Anya » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:53 am

I do give a card with a fiver in it to the bin men, they are extremely quiet, good, clean and kind. They collect the wheelie bins from the back of the house, for elderly or disabled people who can't manage and they take away reasonably large items, for recycling.

I give a card with a fiver to the postman, he is also very helpful, beyond the call of duty.

Years ago there was a paper girl who used to do the rounds with her granddad, in his car. They both enjoyed it. Then her younger sister took over, also with granddad. I used to give them a card with a couple of quid.
Anya

Postby Dragon Lady » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Our local shop normally places a collecting tin on the counter for the paperboys and girls. I always put something in there. Afterwards it is shared out between them - a much nicer way of doing it I think.

The only other people I tip are taxi drivers.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Monsy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:43 pm

We have a "Scoop" shop with the most dour wumman in Brid working there. Every year the tin appears at the till and she is suddenly all smiles and pleasant........I ignore it.......

I always tip the Tesco or Asda delivery men though........
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Return to Anything Goes