Insured our T.Vs

Except Personal Attacks

Insured our T.Vs

Postby mo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Thought we were doing the right thing when we paid to insure our two new T.Vs. A large one for the lounge and a smaller one for our bedroom.
Well as soon as we heard the sound of the new T.V in the bedroom we weren't at all happy. It had an echoing sound. Guessing it was probably the new slim line model and only 22 inches we let it ride.
Then a blue line came inside the screen so we took it back to Curry's and said we weren't happy with the T.V and can we replace it for a dearer model.
They were having none of it. It had to go back to be repaired. Us not being very happy as Bill loves watching T.V in bed at night and me in the morning asked how long it would take to have it repaired.
"Oh only a couple of days" the manager replied, So we went ahead and they took our T.V away.
That was three weeks ago. We rung them up to see how they were progressing and they said they hadn't even looked at it yet.
What annoys me is we paid quite a bit of money for the T.V and to insure it, and through no fault of ours the T.V. is rubbish.
We are furious and feel they should have replaced the t.v untill our one was mended.
There is no way we will deal with Curry's and P.C. world again.
mo

Postby Rowan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:57 pm

No wonder Mo - these TV's are not cheap and surely are expected to work for at least a few years without needing repairs. They should have replaced it immediately. I don't care much for Currys and PC World, they push this insurance thing and you get nothing for it. Hope you get your telly back soon, fixed!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Corrie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Mo, you need to be quoting the Sale of Goods Act. Your telly is not fit for purpose and under this act they are breaching the rules.

Your statutory rights

One of your principal statutory rights is the expectation that the item will be of reasonable quality. This also includes fitness for purpose specified, appearance and finish, freedom from minor blemishes, safety and durability. The failure of the product to meet any one of these criteria is a breach in your statutory rights, enabling you to go back to the retailer, even after some months of use.

The retailer’s obligations

If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse, your first port of call must be the shop you bought it from. They have the responsibility to put the matter right, and should not evade this responsibility by referring you to the manufacturer in the context of a guarantee or warranty.

In the first instance and if considered appropriate, the seller must offer to at least repair the goods. They must do this within reasonable time, at no additional cost to you and without causing any significant inconvenience. If any inconvenience is caused you should be given a replacement item on a ‘like for like’ basis (and not simply the cheapest and most basic model). Many consumer complaints relate to the length of time the item is away being repaired – and although you must allow reasonable time for repair, the law does not say what ‘reasonable time’ is. It very much depends on the item itself and the nature of the problem. For most things, shops would usually allow you to exchange the item or give you your money back straight away. However, if the damage is minor and can be repaired easily, then the shop can insist on this as a first option, although this will not stop you from taking it back if the repair is unsatisfactory or there is something else wrong with it.

If a repair is impossible or unfeasible, you must then be offered a replacement. Due to the emphasis on proportionality in this legislation, you must give the seller reasonable time to repair or replace before demanding your money back and you should be aware that any refund given may well take account of any use you have had of the goods since you took possession of them. If you do not want the seller to repair or replace, or they have told you they are unable to, you can then request they reduce the purchase price to an appropriate amount, although this does not affect your ability to take return the item if something else goes wrong.
Corrie

Postby mo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Thank you for that information Corrie.
They have taken it back for repair but my arguement is, we are without our t.v for such a length of time even though we have paid outright for it.
According to the manager the T.V is bleeding inside and will get worse so they must know this isn't any fault of ours and should have allowed us to purchase another T.V, which we were prepared to pay extra for a better model. In fact I said I don't want that model back as not only the problem of the line, but the sound was rubbish, but the manager said they couldn't do that unless they couldn't get it repaired.
If this had been our only T.V. How inconvenient not having one for three weeks or more.
Luckily we have put our little old one from the kitchen into the bedroom for the time being.
mo

Postby Penny » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Just read this Mo. Likewise, Hubby went and bought a larger TV for the lounge, not my idea, but it arrived. The sound is dreadful, just as though it has an echo. He won't listen to me so for most of the time I shut off my ear piece and do crosswords. I am browned off with the thing. One day I am going to put a hammer tho' it. cheers Penny :sad: :huffin: :tantrum2:
Penny

Postby Rowan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:28 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I used to say that about our TV - now I'm as bad as Davy!!
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby mo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Exactly like the one for repair Penny. The sound is like someone talking through one of those horns.
Funny because both that one and our large one in the lounge is a Samsung yet the large one sounds absolutely lovely.
mo

Postby Penny » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Both of ours are Toshiba, so I think must be something to do with them being slim-line. :evil: :sad: :sad: cheers Penny
Penny

Postby mo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Both ours are slim line Penny but as I said the large one in the lounge sounds fine.
I personally think the slim ones aren't as good as the older type. Also when you show a DVD of a recording everyone looks larger than in real life.
Goodness knows why the screens are shaped wider.
mo

Postby Penny » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Just what I say, I have remarked when someone grins it stretches right across the screen, dreadful. Why can.t they leave things alone. cheers Penny :grouphug: :please:
Penny

Postby Rowan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:18 pm

We've got a Pentus in one bedroom, a Samsung in the living room and one I can't read (wall mounted) in our bedroom. Also got a little flatscreen in a cupboard - a just in case one!!
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Dragon Lady » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Mine is a 32" Sharp and it is fine. It is now out of the year's guarantee and they have offered me a cheap insurance for £8 something a month. Yeah right! That would make it approx £96 PA. If it goes for another 4 years, I will have paid for it twice.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby dejavou » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:07 pm

That's insurance for you DL ........ at least Dick Turpin wore a mask :evil:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Victors Mate » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm not posh, I is poor I've only got one TV and at times that is one too many.

:sad:
Victors Mate

Postby mo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Rung Curry's up again yesterday still waiting for our new T.V to be repaired and was told that it was still in the repair shop and hadn't been looked at yet . I explained that we had only bought the T.V. three weeks ago before we had taken it back and mentioned about our statuary rights that we should have been loaned another T.V. until our one was mended being as apart from the first years insurance, we paid £4.50 per month direct debit for extended insurance.
The guy then told me that the insurance that we took out didn't cover a loan of a T.V. but if it wasn't back after 28 days we could then ask for the loan of another T.V. But he assured us that it should be back by 23rd December. That will then be the 28 days.

I am furious. nothing was mentioned about different types of insurances.
What is the point of paying for insurances if they hardly cover anything.
It is so frustrating when you are told. "Sorry but that's the company policy." and you can't do a thing about it. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :tantrum2: :tantrum2:
mo

Next

Return to Anything Goes