Help with insurance

Except Personal Attacks

Help with insurance

Postby Liz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I wondered if any of you can give me some advice.
I am thinking of buying a little car.
But its the insurance that is worrying me,
I have been driving for 25 years but always drove on my husbands insurance.
Now he is no longer here I am wondering if I shall be treated like a new driver or would they take into consideration I have driven for the last 25 years and my husband never had to make a claim.
I live where its booooootiful
Liz

Postby Corrie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi Liz, if your husband had an "insured and spouse" policy then you can state that fact when you ask for quotes (and ask up to 6 insurance companies a least). If it was an "any driver" you can still advise you drove more than any of the others apart from your husband. A few companies would allow a named spouse to take over the deceased husband/wife's no claim bonus, this is a question you must ask first and you could have maximum bonus to begin with. Good Luck.
Corrie

Postby Victors Mate » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:04 am

Hi Liz First approach the company your husband insured with. The time to sort out the cheapest can come later if they seem to be expensive. The main thing to make sure of is that your small car is in one of the lower insurance groups.

This link might help
http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/ca ... -Group/18/
Victors Mate

Postby Anya » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:09 am

Yes, I agree with VM. I would go back to the same company, even if it is a bit more expensive, at least they have you on their records.

Build your own no-claim bonus, over the next couple of years and then you can think again
:grouphug:
Anya

Postby Corrie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:23 pm

Of course try the last current insurer but you will never know if its expensive unless you shop around the competition. As I said earlier you may not have to build up your own no claims bonus as a few companies are prepared to transfer the bonus accumulated to the spouse and you could be beginning your own insurance policy with a maximum no claims bonus of 65% (from ad's seen on tv some are offering 75% now). I've been retired 7 years but 27 years prior in the job and the one thing I can tell you is that competition is what lowers prices and gives incentives!
Corrie

Postby Liz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:51 pm

I phoned the insuance company that our car was insured with. They said as I was a named passenger I would get four years no cliam benefit..

So thanks for all your help, I did as you said and it helped me no end :)
I live where its booooootiful
Liz

Postby Corrie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:44 pm

Glad you've got it sorted and well done, now just sort yourself with a low grouping of car which will lower the premium as well as your car tax. Happy New Year!
Corrie

Postby dejavou » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Great news Liz, well done
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Return to Anything Goes