My list of useful genealogy sites

Looking for ancestry

My list of useful genealogy sites

Postby Oddquine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:59 pm

Good free family tree recording programmme

Legacy Family Tree. : It's the one I use.

Free places to look for info

Freecen-Search : 1841 to 1891 Censuses online. Not all places by any means,and not all years, but it is an ongoing project,and worth going back to check regularly if there's nothing on there for you yet.

Family Search : The Jehovahs Witness site with thousands of OPR entries. But be warned, the transcribing isn't alway accurate as to name spelling, and having seen the OPRs for Caithness on film, I'm not at all surprised........and always check whether the entry is one from official documents or information entered by members from their own family trees, and if the latter, don't take it as gospel.

World Connect :This is a database of uploaded Family Trees...If you input a name, you may be surprised what comes up. I've got quite a lot of information from here, though nothing on my main lines. Again, it is somebody else's work.........so always check if you can.

Looking 4 Kin : This one is a links site.......not as exhaustive as Cyndi's list but a helluva lot easier to get around.

Genuki Another list with British links and info about the different counties.

Pay for Sites

Scotland's People : The Scottish GRO site where you pay for time limited searches, but can download copies of certificates after 1855 for a lot less than getting hard copies, and you can search the censuses from 1841(I think).

Find My Past : This one is as near as I've found to the Scottish GRO site equivalent for England. Perhaps someone who knows anything about the English records online will have a better link. Its the replacement for the 1837 site :oops:

The rest of mine are predominantly Scottish sites, but if any of you have others, let's see them.
Last edited by Oddquine on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Shutterfrog » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:48 am

I have subscription to everything Ancestry.com offers :rolleye11: :hide: Just in case anyone has a need.

Also use Rootsweb.com for searching.
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby Oddquine » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:45 am

The World Connect and FreeCen sites are Rootsweb ones, Gina.

What does Ancestry. com offer now?

I took out a trial once, admittedly a long time ago, but could find nothing useful.....it mostly appeared to be tilted towards the other side of the pond.

But having said that, I do have relations, both in my line and distant, over there...though only in Canada.....I think.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Shutterfrog » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:09 am

Ancestry is pointed more to the U.S. side, but they keep adding features. If you have another look and find someone interesting but can't view it let me know.

Some of the census of possible interest for your side would be

1851 England Census New
1851 Wales Census New
1851 Isle of Man Census New
1851 Channel Islands Census New
1861 England Census
1861 Wales Census
1861 Isle of Man Census
1861 Channel Islands Census
1871 England Census
1871 Wales Census
1871 Isle of Man Census
1871 Channel Islands Census
1881 England Census Free Index
1881 Wales Census Free Index
1881 Isle of Man Census Free Index
1881 Channel Islands Census Free Index
1891 England Census
1891 Wales Census
1891 Isle of Man Census
1891 Channel Islands Census
1901 England Census
1901 Wales Census
1901 Isle of Man Census
1901 Channel Islands Census

:sunglasses:
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:16 am

----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Daff » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Two of the Rootsweb sites I've bookmarked for constant referral:

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ not complete but the marriage index is nearly there

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... umbers.htm
a must have tool for working with Familysearch, you can find out what churches are covered in your area of interest

This site will show what is available for each county, e.g: Lancashire has its own freebmd search facility

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
Albert Camus
Daff

Postby Pam » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:52 pm

Thanks everyone for all the links. Guess what I will be doing this weekend?!!!

Does anyone have a link for census in New Zealand?
Pam

Postby admin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:46 pm

I have a copy of the 1881 Census for the UK if anyone wants look-ups. PM Oddquine

This is Oddquine, btw,in case anyone doesn't know that I don't always remember which hat I'm wearing. :oops:
admin
Busy Bee

Postby Midnight Mover » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:17 pm

Not so sure the 1951 Census will be very accurate - they never bothered to collect the form my Dad filled in, I came across it when I was going through his old papers :mrgreen:
Midnight Mover

Postby twinsmum » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:26 am

: :thankyou: I will also be having a good look at most of those web sites my son in law has subscribed to some of them and he is the one who has got most most of our information but he knows his way around computers better than I do :rolleye11: hes a computer engineer
twinsmum

Return to Genealogy