My Research Interests

Looking for ancestry

My Research Interests

Postby Oddquine » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:06 am

I don't for a minute suppose anyone else on here is researching in Inverness-shire and Caithness....but you never know who is lurking out there! :mrgreen:

Caithness
Main lines........Sinclair, McKenzie Mowat, Dunnet, and MacDonald, Barnetson, Hunter and Sutherland for a start.

Inverness and shire

Main lines.......Fraser, Ross Cameron, McMillan, McKenzie and McKenzie/Maclennan, Fraser (again), McLean and, you've guessed it.......Fraser another twice!

And I wonder why I'm having so much difficulty with my Inverness-shire side! :roll:
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:02 am

The names I am researching are:

Lincolnshire
Bird, Pilmore, Purkis(s), Stutting (and variations of)

Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Ball, Barsby, Edson, Herrett, Hutchinson, Perkins, Saxton, Shaw and
Smith :groaner:

Norfolk
Rose

Northamptonshire
Pilmore

Yorkshire
Rose, Slater.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Shutterfrog » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:12 am

I am looking for :rolleye11: Insko / Insco / Inskoe / Inscoe / Inscho :sunglasses:

Then there are Perkins and Mofford / Morford and Browning and Jett....... but I don't have a clue where they might have come from. More interested in the Insko group at the moment.
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby Daff » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:23 am

My family interests are:
Lovett from Llanvihangel-Nant-Melan RAD
Lovett from Llanelli
Williams from Brynmawr BRE

:groaner:
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
Albert Camus
Daff

Postby Rowan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:12 am

Me - Troup from the north of Scotland
Anderson from Aberdeenshire
Kelly fron Ireland (south AND North)
Maxwell from the Lanarkshire/Glasgow area
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby ciderman_nz » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Woolsey from London
Bennetts from Hertfordshire (Walkern)
Gardiner (from Ireland?)
Rand from Hertfordshire.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby dita » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:35 pm

Lacemaker, did you go any further with the Stutting's from Scotter? Just interested.
dita

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:00 pm

I haven't so far Dita but I do intend doing something about it soon since I will be in Gainsborough again in August/September. I want to follow up one of two of the Stuttings from the 1800s into the 1901 Census so that I have a few more details for the present day Stuttings.

I hope we can arrange a meeting while I am there - shutterfrog will be with me, too, as she is interested in the Pilgrim Fathers display in the Old Hall in Gainsborough.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:34 pm

That would be great, are you originally from Gainsborough? My mum used to live there in bygone day's. I wonder if you knew of Marton, my uncle was blacksmith there until he died. I used to live at Collingham Nr. Newark. My friend is in a nursing home at Scotten just round the corner from Scotter.
dita

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:46 pm

Yes, I am from Gainsborough Dita, and all those names are very familiar. I used to go to the Ropery Road school and the Girls High School on Morton Terrace. :mrgreen:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:51 pm

My cousin lives at Winthorpe just outside Newark. During the war I used to live at North Collingham and started my school days there, my Dad was in the army and we lived with my Grandparents (who originally lived at Gainsborough). After the war we moved into Lincolnshire but my Grandparents stayed at Collingham.

Gainsborough has changed alot the last few years, I usually pass through on the way to my cousins. Blyton is a place I often visit for an ice-cream, it is quite a treat, you must go and get one when you are on a visit. As is of course Gainsborough Old Hall although I have never been in it. Would love to meet up with you both when you are over.
dita

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:31 pm

It's a date Dita. :sunglasses:

I went around the Old Hall the last time I was in Gainsborough and if you go to my Coppermine Album you can see the photos. The link to the Old Hall is on page 2 of the album list.

http://www.lacemakerslace.oddquine.co.u ... t=0&page=2
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:56 pm

Wow! have just had a quick look, you have some lovely photos. I will take a more detailed look later. I think at one time my Grandad worked for Gilstrap and Earp something to do with flour, however I am not very clear on this. Great Co'op still there and good fish and chip shop too. Am trying to remember the road my family lived on, could it be Lea Rd. Their name was Merrills.
dita

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:15 pm

It could be Lea Road, Dita. This is the main road from Gainsborough out towards Torksey and Lincoln heading south.

The name Merrill seems to ring a bell. I think one of the girls in my class at High School was a Merrill.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:43 pm

Have Mums Birth Certificate, she was born 20th May 1914. Address 125 Lea Road, her name Laura. She also had a sister Caroline who was 3yrs older. Surname was Merrills.
dita

Next

Return to Genealogy