Genes Reunited

Looking for ancestry

Genes Reunited

Postby Oddquine » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:42 am

I joined Genes Reunited last year, and while I didn't get a lot of info, I was able to eliminate a lot of leads.

I was able to read a number of family trees, made available to me by the authors.

But I let the membership lapse, and found that I could no longer access any of the information others had allowed me to see........though those (if still paying) customers were able still to access my files.

So, in a fit of pique.......I deleted them! :oops:

As far as I'm concerned I'd already paid for what I had available. :huffin:
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Rowan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:50 am

I don't like them, they are worse than useless.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monsy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:39 pm

I joined because daughter wanted to do it, and I was the one with the credit card!

I regularly get e-mails about matches, trouble is, they are all useless ones.

They did well once though, they matched me up with my brother!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Daff » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:50 pm

I've had some good matches through them.
Made contact with a cousin I hadn't seen since we were 10 years old, also descendants of my 3x great grandfathers brother and sister.
Lately though they've introduced "hot matches" which to be honest have been very luke-warm.
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
Albert Camus
Daff

Postby twinsmum » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:38 pm

I joined so that the son in law could access my files when I put new family info on my tree
twinsmum

post subject

Postby Penny » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:03 pm

I joined a couple of years ago but have had no useful info to-date. As far as I can make out, I was not born, the house I was born does not exist and I have no relatives, so I am non-existant. cheers Penny :oops:
Penny

Re: post subject

Postby dejavou » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Penny wrote:I joined a couple of years ago but have had no useful info to-date. As far as I can make out, I was not born, the house I was born does not exist and I have no relatives, so I am non-existant. cheers Penny :oops:

WHO SAID THAT ?? :hide:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby ciderman_nz » Tue May 09, 2006 10:40 am

One thing in it's favour is it is really cheap! Ancestry com is about 20 times the price! Have got quite a bit of info from http://www.jonesgenealogy.com/promo/uk- ... asp?y=1891 which has access to the 1891 census for nix.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby widget » Tue May 09, 2006 11:08 am

I found my 'relative' from here http://www.ancestry.co.uk/

I put in a name of a person I was looking for, and on the left hand side it says, see if anyone else is looking' I did and found him, e-mail him, and was very pleased, did not cost me anything.
widget

Postby twinsmum » Tue May 09, 2006 5:56 pm

:thankyou:
Thanks for that link ciderman will have a good look at that,my son in law has joined ancestry widget and he has found quite a few of my Grandmothers relations.
twinsmum

Postby Oddquine » Wed May 10, 2006 7:28 pm

ciderman_nz wrote:One thing in it's favour is it is really cheap! Ancestry com is about 20 times the price! Have got quite a bit of info from http://www.jonesgenealogy.com/promo/uk- ... asp?y=1891 which has access to the 1891 census for nix.

Wahey!!!!!!!!!I thought as I hopped to there.....and saw...........ALL UK............NOT!!!!!!!!! :tantrum2:

Always knew the Americans were thick when it comes to Geography! :rolleye11:
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Shutterfrog » Wed May 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Oddquine wrote:.................... Always knew the Americans were thick when it comes to Geography! :rolleye11:

:sorry: :groaner:
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby Monsy » Wed May 10, 2006 9:30 pm

She didny mean you or Miriam, Gina - cos youse two are our pals!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby vannin » Wed May 10, 2006 10:10 pm

I kept fairly busy for a couple of years with Genes Reunited. There are close on a hundred names recorded on my tree and David's tree.

Among all the tries for leads, I was contacted by a second cousin I last saw/had contact with/ in 1953. She is married to one of the few professional thatchers, living in Devon.

A third cousin of David picked up on my appeal for any news about his mother's family. As her maiden name was King, I had no high hopes of matches. But though she and David had never heard of each other, she had the tree of four generations which are both their families, big info for us.

But I am forever getting requests about the 'Patrick Walsh' in my background, as people all over the world think he might be theirs. But it is similar to John Smith......... :roll:
vannin

Postby Rowan » Wed May 10, 2006 10:26 pm

Monsy wrote:She didny mean you or Miriam, Gina - cos youse two are our pals!

No, cos we have made you honorary Scots!! We have adopted youse!! :grouphug: And all the English members too of course. (We may charge for passports later, of course)!! :rolleye11: :twisted:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Genealogy