Help and Advice. Getting Started.

Looking for ancestry

Help and Advice. Getting Started.

Postby dita » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:06 pm

:please: Very interesting subject, but, find it all a little confusing. Have just got myself on Genes Re-united.
Lack the skills though to start really searching. For instance! How do you find a part of your family of whom you know nothing about.?
dita

Postby Oddquine » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:17 pm

How far have you got, dita? It rather depends on how far back you are which is the best way to go.

Is this a part of the family you know exists but you don't have names, or is it a part that is rumoured to exist?

On Genes Reunited, as far as I can tell, you put in a name in the search trees section and if you have it, an approximate age etc to help narrow things down, hit submit, and wait and see if any/how many are found.

Then, if you see anything that looks hopeful, you have to send a message to the person whose tree the name is in telling him/her who you are looking for, and asking about their person, and asking to see their tree.

Sometimes they reply, sometimes they don't. They generally don't if your person isn't their person.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby dita » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:54 pm

Yes! I sent a message to one person on Genes Reunited, not successful. My mums side is fine but have so little information on Dads, am having a job to get beyond him up to now, will be better when I have located his birth certificate so I will then know his parents forenames etc: My Grandmother was also married 3 times and had many kids but I know nothing about any of them, My Dads Dad died very young. On Mums side I am at 1807 approx.
dita

Postby twinsmum » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:47 pm

Hello dita I have been lucky my son in law has been helping me he has paid to get access to census etc he is also much more clever with a computer last time I was at their house he was showing me and he had about 4 different pages up on the screen :thinking:
Someone I was talking to me to join a group like she had done,she gets help and its cheaper as they all share the costs
twinsmum

Postby Oddquine » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:58 pm

dita wrote:Yes! I sent a message to one person on Genes Reunited, not successful. My mums side is fine but have so little information on Dads, am having a job to get beyond him up to now, will be better when I have located his birth certificate so I will then know his parents forenames etc: My Grandmother was also married 3 times and had many kids but I know nothing about any of them, My Dads Dad died very young. On Mums side I am at 1807 approx.

You any idea of his year of birth, Dita. Or any names at all....I can check the 1881 census for you if you like.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Daff » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:16 am

I have some spare units on 1837online.com if you would like his birth traced
just give me the names and approx date and area; I'll willingly have a look for you.
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
Albert Camus
Daff

Postby dita » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:21 pm

Thankyou very much Oddquine and Daff, will be in touch with you again when I get Dad's birth certificate sorted out from my box of treasures. think it is in the loft.
dita

Return to Genealogy