flippin' weather

Gardening tips, stories etc.

flippin' weather

Postby Poohdog » Fri May 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Well,I don't know what it's like where you're from but here it's ruddy freezing.(Notts) Two days of hot sun this week and got lots done in the garden,in fact so warm I had to dig out my thinnest T shirt...but today.....It's like November out there.Very cold wind and no sun with grey skies.I've decided to put off planting the bedding plants until a better day.

I was literally shivering so came in and put the heating on...sat here now with a hot cuppa and hoping to warm up. I hope it's warmer where you are for the middle of May.
Poohdog

Re: flippin' weather

Postby ciderman_nz » Sat May 14, 2016 2:06 am

It's ridiculously hot here Pooh , for the time of year. It's been sitting about 10°C above the usual average for about two weeks. It's supposed to be the start of winter but.....
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Lacemaker » Sat May 14, 2016 3:53 am

Same here in Sydney, CD !

I can't believe it is the official start of winter in two weeks time - temperature for today was forecast as 24C and it is now 25C and this is after record high temperatures for every month this year. :dunno:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Sat May 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Here in Lincs it is the same as you describe in Notts Poohdog, its been the strangest winter all round.
dita

Postby Poohdog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:36 am

Is it just me?...I'm no 'Greenfingers' but I usually manage a reasonable floral display...not this year. Nothing is growing.In fact some bedding plants have just given up and died.The only growth that seems normal is my Clematis Montana which has flowered well as usual. Some planters have a thin layer of moss covering the soil.

It's early yet I guess but the plants just don't seem to be taking off,many look exactly the same as they did when planted last month...in fresh compost too.
On the other hand cuttings I took off the same bedding plants are doing ok in the greenhouse and rooting well,ready to plant out shortly.

Is it that Yukky outside this year?
Poohdog

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:32 am

Winter has arrived !!! The temperature today was only 16C and raining its rain forecast for the next week. :sad:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby ciderman_nz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:42 am

Yep! Same here LM. Cold and rain. It had to happen and at least the 'cockies' are happy.
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:53 am

Because of the abnormally warm weather, winter clothes have not been selling well with plenty of sales on at the moment. An all weather reversible padded jacket in a polyester fabric has just been reduced from $199.95 to $119.95 on my favourite fashion site. After seeing it on display in a local department store, I ordered it online when I found out they didn't have my size in store.

Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Return to Gardener's Corner