Clematis - Advice Required Please

Gardening tips, stories etc.

Postby widget » Sat May 27, 2006 8:04 am

http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/4328/1

Did you want it to be 'vigorous'??? only Montana's usually grow fast and anywhere, did you get it at a Garden Centre? can you not 'take it back' or tell the what has happened.?

Sorry just read your first post, bought at flower show, shame
widget

Postby Dragon Lady » Sat May 27, 2006 3:42 pm

I think its really got to be down to this wet, windy weather, Widget! I don't think I can lay the blame at the door of the grower - they are all reputable growers and come back year after year. It's quite a big show.

Just looked out of the window at it, and I think it looks sicker than ever today! Honestly, everything I lay hands on dies! :evil: Think I'll start growing water cress instead! :mrgreen:
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Monsy » Sat May 27, 2006 6:38 pm

See what it's like when/if the sun comes out DL! It might spring back to life..
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Steve » Mon May 29, 2006 10:03 am

DL.

First thing I would do is scrape the soil away from the roots and have a look for vine weevil.........sounds to me as if this may be the cause. Clemitis seem to grow most anywhere and do not really require much looking after in my experience. Many do need cut back but thats about it. Definately do not think is water of wind problem.

I have some moved and just stuck in a hole.....very dry spot and its doing very well.

One thing to remember is that clemitis like their feet shaded......cut a plastic flower pot in half length ways and put this round the base....that usually does the trick.

First thing is to look at the roots. Perhaps you might consider moving it to another spot and see how it does there.
Attachments
2006_05260010#001.jpg
2006_05260010#001.jpg (86.56 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
Steve

Postby Rosie » Mon May 29, 2006 4:21 pm

Whenever I've planted a Clematis I always put a large poece of stone on top to cover the roots and keep them cool. The plant itself likes to be in the sun.
The Montana variety is a very quick grower and you should get a rampant display even in it's first year.
Rosie

Postby Dragon Lady » Mon May 29, 2006 9:55 pm

I will leave it for a short while in the hopes that the sun will come out and it might improve. If it doesn't I will dig it up and check for Vine Weevil (had to look it up on Google to see what the grubs and beetles looked like!)
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Monika » Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 pm

Steve

What a lovely garden you have and the view is wonderful.

Lucky you!
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Previous

Return to Gardener's Corner