Clematis - Advice Required Please

Gardening tips, stories etc.

Clematis - Advice Required Please

Postby Dragon Lady » Thu May 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Help! A few weeks ago I bought a clematis at a local flower show. I checked out soil and climate with the seller and was told any soil and that the plant is a hardy variety.

I dug a good sized hole below my garden arch, planted it in a mixture of earth and compost, and tied it up. In the few weeks its been there it has grown quite a lot and looked quite healthy.

Today I have looked at it, and all the leaves are hanging down very limp - almost like it had been starved of water. Of course it hasn't as it has hammered down for days. Is it likely that the roots are drowning? We have a layer of clay under the topsoil here.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby DaisyB » Thu May 25, 2006 4:52 pm

Clematis wilt, DL, very common. Leave it be and it will propbably flourish next year.
DaisyB

Postby Dragon Lady » Thu May 25, 2006 5:31 pm

Nothing to worry about then Daisy! So what causes it? It cannot be the heat for sure! :roll: Maybe its just p****d off with all the rain! :mrgreen:
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby widget » Thu May 25, 2006 7:05 pm

widget

Postby Dragon Lady » Thu May 25, 2006 8:18 pm

Thanks Widget! From reading the websites, it appears my type is not so liable to wilt (at least from wilt as a disease). I rather suspect the combination of the torrential rain we have had (having a clay soil) and the wind - both it appears can cause wilt.

Should I, I wonder, have it up, and dig the hole deeper and put some stones in for drainage before adding the topsoil?

This is how it was only a few weeks ago
Attachments
Clematis 1.jpg
Clematis 1.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 5741 times
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby DaisyB » Thu May 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Clematis like there feet in the shade and heads in the sun.
DaisyB

Postby Granny Eve » Thu May 25, 2006 10:33 pm

I wish I had an answer for you Dragon Lady, but sadly I have planted 7 clematis over the years - non wilt, wilt free, wilt resistant, wilt hardy - and every one of them has succumed to wilt!
I guess I am going to live my days out without ever having successfully grown a clematis.
Granny Eve

Postby Guest » Thu May 25, 2006 11:09 pm

If you're having problems Montanas probably stand the best chance of success.

Don't give up just yet.

Postby twinsmum » Fri May 26, 2006 12:05 am

I planted 3 clematis last year 2 under our very large tree and one under the fence first one under the tree died then the one under the fence the remaining one under the tree John fasted to the tree all was well till we had a frost,thats it I give up I told John,then about 5 weeks ago what did i see peeping out from under a holly bush{that shouldn't be there but we cant get it out}my remaining clematis and its doing very well now growing by the day
twinsmum

Postby Dragon Lady » Fri May 26, 2006 1:03 pm

Guest - mine is a Montana.

Twinsmum & GrannyEve - There it was positively flourishing after I put it in and I thought whoopee here is something that grows for me. I should have known better!

Daisy - Clematis like there feet in the shade and heads in the sun. Wot ruddy sun???? :rolleye11:
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby widget » Fri May 26, 2006 1:33 pm

widget

Postby Guest » Fri May 26, 2006 4:39 pm

In all, I have 9 clematis, 7 of which always do well.

The two which don't are a Jack Manii which is prone to wilt and a dark red one I don't know the name of.

I can't do much about the wilt but the lady at the garden centre (when I went for a new one) told me to set them a little deeper to avoid the problem as that sometimes helps.

The dark red one doesn't wilt but is prone to mildew. The other year I cut it down to the ground to get rid of it and it shot up the following year and did better.

I've never known Montana to get wilt, DL, it is usually confined to the larger flowered varieties.

Postby Monika » Fri May 26, 2006 5:03 pm

Twice I've posted on this topic and both times it's come up as 'Guest'

I'm not trying to hide ....... honestly :tantrum2:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby dejavou » Fri May 26, 2006 7:25 pm

We would have "guest" it was you eventually Monika :banana: Mons would have got her defective kit out :magnify:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Dragon Lady » Fri May 26, 2006 9:13 pm

So it was you that was hiding away was it Monika! :mrgreen:

Tis a Montana, Widget - I have the label I took off it in front of me and it says "Clematis Montana Warwickshire Rose".
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Next

Return to Gardener's Corner