Peony

Gardening tips, stories etc.

Peony

Postby Rosie » Tue May 30, 2006 3:18 pm

I've had a Peony in my garden for the last eight years and although I have strong healthy leaves every year, I've never yet had it come into bloom. I've been told they usually take about three years from planting before one is supposed to have a good display, but this is taking far too long in my opinion....do you think I might as well dig it up and discard it? ...I have it planted in the correct soil which should suit it.
Rosie

Postby DaisyB » Tue May 30, 2006 5:34 pm

Rosie, at the end of the summer, do you cut the plant back to about 4 inches above ground level? Perhaps feeding it with Photrogen or a tomato fertiliser might help too. Once mine have finished the are all chopped down and I never have any problems with flowers, as you may have seen from my photos. They do not like being moved though, that I do know.
DaisyB

Postby laurel » Tue May 30, 2006 5:54 pm

I have 2 peaonies in my garden - 1 has been there years and I dont do anything with it except dead-head it. The other, I moved from a neighbours garden 2 years ago, its just coming into flower now. I did feed it well last year, with chicken pellets which I find work for most things and is really easy to use! I must admit tho' that I am lucky to have rich soil - I seem to be always trying to tame things rather than nuturing them!!
laurel

Postby Emm » Wed May 31, 2006 5:54 pm

The one I had for years flowered - but it just didn't grow any bigger.
:dunno:
Emm

Return to Gardener's Corner