Bad Experience

Gardening tips, stories etc.

Bad Experience

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:21 pm

Last September, I sent for a lot of plants and bulbs from a well-known bulb firm in Manchester.

The plants arrived piece meal over the weeks until mid- November when the final little box arrived containing the 3 Himalayan Poppies I'd ordered. They were dried up, flat as pancakes and were in a plastic bag with holes in inside the box. There were no instructions with them, only the invoice which had a little sticker on it saying that they were dormant and new growth would appear in the Spring.

I didn't know what to do with them and I assumed that I had to keep them somewhere frost-free until Spring and this is what I did until about a month ago when I planted them up into pots and stood them on the windowsill. The outcome is that they have just done nothing whatsover except rot in the pots; no sign of growth of any kind at all.

Last week I wrote to complain about them and received a letter saying that it was my own fault as I didn't follow their (non-existing) instructions, and should have planted them in the garden when I received them - so, hard cheese and kiss goodbye to my £8.95.

I have written back to take issue with them regarding the lack of instructions and told them to take me off any mailing lists they have me on as I do not intend ever ordering anything else from them.

My order with them came to £45.95 with P&P so I think they have lost a potential good customer. :tantrum2:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Rowan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:10 pm

That's terrible Monika - you should keep on at them about not sending instructions. Are you supposed to be a mind reader now. :dunno:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:09 pm

Tell them you will be relating the tale to all the members of the various forums you are a members of, with the instruction to pass on details of the company to anybody who is interested .... perhaps the potential lost of custom might cause them to reconsider :tantrum2:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:01 pm

I think that will be my next step, deja. I'll wait and see what their reply will be (that is, if they bother :roll: )

I'm so angry about this and wonder how many people would know what to do with the plants without having to be told. Not many, I would imagine - November not being a time when you would normally be planting anything but bare-rooted shrubs :tantrum2:
Monika

Postby Emm » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:24 pm

Nasty.
Firms usually send instructions with orders.
Emm

Postby Monsy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Have they got an e-mail address? I'll go in with several different addresses (cough) and say I have heard baaaaaaaaaaaaad things about their customer service and aftercare......
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Monika » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:59 pm

If they don't write back in the near future, I think I'll contact BBC Watchdog. That seems to work wonders.
Monika

Postby twinsmum » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:35 pm

Monika I have a good idea who that firm is I bought some plants from them years ago, when the plant died and I complained they blamed my soil and asked me to send a sample, I just replied you have lost a customer.
twinsmum

Postby Monika » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:27 pm

I'm happy to tell you all that following my second letter to the company I have, today, received a cheque for £8.95 from them ......... and an apology.

They are now vindicated.
Monika

Return to Gardener's Corner