Important if you are travelling..........

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Postby megra » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:04 am

Kevin wrote:It's all very well to say that sort of thing, Megra, when you're living in your own country, but try living in a country that isn't yours and then you'll find that you suddenly become a focus for everything that pertains to your own nation.

I have lived in a country that isn't mine, Switzerland, a country not noted for its openness to other nationalities. What you describe just didn't happen to me. Nowadays, I spend a lot of time in France and have found nothing but generous hospitality and friendliness from the people I've met whether in Normandy or Provence, the two places I tend to visit. But then I'm not a racist. I'm not anti-anybody. If I spend time away from home I do so wanting to get to know its people, its culture, its language. I try to fit in with the local customs. I find such an approach useful whether across the channel or up in Yorkshire. Because I make an effort, I am accepted.

If I found myself confronted by someone who was prejudiced against me from the off, I rather think I'd be antagonistic and rude especially if they were visitors in my home.

Kevin wrote:Calling someone "anti-American" or whatever only means that you perceive them having an antipathy to one or more aspects of that nation, whether it's government policy, language, customs, traditions or at the end of the day, yes, the people themselves.

I'm sorry, Kevin, but that is rubbish as I've already explained in my previous posting. I am opposed vehemently to the policies of the present American administration. I am not, as should be abundantly clear from what I wrote, anti-American. I'm afraid that it's your having such a negative attitude that makes people antagonistic towards you. Perhaps you ought to think about changing your attitude then others might change theirs.
megra

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:36 am

Megra, people are not antagonistic towards me personally, and I don't have a negative attitude either. Like you, I always try to "fit in" wherever I happen to be, and I've been around a fair bit in my time. My comments are based upon personal experience, as I'm sure yours are. That's why I don't care for the French very much.

Anyway, we're obviously not going to agree on any of this, so let's leave it, eh? :sunglasses:
Kevin

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:36 pm

So Kevin fits in anywhere he goes.........Sounds about right to me.

I find that people who move to another country and then complain about the locals not liking them are usually the ones that are at fault.....NOT all the time though.

My wife is English and when she hears about all this anti Englishness up here in Bonnie Scotland she just rubbishes it. I would guess that most of the English who get the anti brigade on their backs ask for it. So I guess its the same everywhere.

A discussion about the politics of a certain country is simply that and not a discussion on the folks that live there. Again I say that its the people who know they are losing the argument or have nothing to defend their country with that make the anti accusations.
Steve

Postby Rowan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:35 pm

Aye but Phyllis is lovely Stevie!! She's well liked.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and News