Important if you are travelling..........

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Postby dejavou » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:54 am

Shutterfrog wrote:back to Vegas, Deja?

Off to Florida for Christmas shopping Gina :banana: :banana: I've never been there before, so I'm looking forward to it ......

Kevin I agree with you, all Americans are not the same, I've found the one's I've met on my travels to be charming & helpful and it's got some beautiful places, both Urban and Rural and I plan to visit as often as time and finances will allow. However I think Rowan is as entitled to her opinion as anybody else, even it directly opposite to mine and I admire her sticking to her principles by not accepting the free trip
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:07 am

Kevin wrote:
Rowan wrote:Sorry Gina but even for Patrick Stewart, I wouldn't go to America - no problem with Americans, just their government who are taking their country backwards.

Rowan, you can't find fault with the American government without also finding fault with the people who put them into power, so your statement is blatantly anti-American in every sense.

I'm so glad that my niece is home from America - I was sick when she decided to go and worried all the time she was away.

I'm afraid I see America as a country that it is unsafe to visit due to so many different state laws - the danger of corrupt police etc etc.

Why? Scotland has different laws to England, there are corrupt police in Glasgow - does that mean I shouldn't let my son go on holiday to Scotland then?

We see television programmes from America with rich looking homes etc. - no mention of the poor. America is a country where the rich are very rich and the poor are on a par with third world countries. Not the land of the free - the land of the law of the gun and the free...so long as you have money and power and are prepared to trample over everybody to get that way.

If you were a television programme maker Rowan, hoping to make money, would you make one about the poor? Of course America has very rich and very poor people, primarily because over there, people who get off their arses and work hard and think big, make it big. So it has always been since the disaffected peoples of Britain and Europe sailed away to the New World.

PS
Mhairi had asked me to go with her and her mum to New York for christmas shopping this year...free trip...and I had to say no because of my beliefs.

Rowan, I think your beliefs are wrong. If you went to visit the USA you would find things very different to how you imagine them. Or perhaps you'd rather have the world ruled by young, bearded Muslims who think it's OK to mass murder thousands of ordinary travelling folk.

I think your beliefs are wrong Kevin and I am as entitled as you to hold them - I will continue to do so.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Shutterfrog » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:21 pm

Quit picking on Rowan :please: We each have our opinions and beliefs. I quite admire Rowan for standing up for her convictions. I know she likes me and that is all that matters to me.

So, I'll bring the chocklit next year and we'll have a good time on your side of the pond. :mrgreen:
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby shade » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:23 pm

deleted
shade

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:11 pm

I am not suggesting for one moment that Rowan is not entitled to her beliefs - of course she is. I merely suggest to her that she is wrong, OK?
Kevin

Postby Shutterfrog » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:05 pm

But, Kevin, aren't you calling Rowan anti-American because she doesn't like our government? A lot of Americans don't either. Does that make them anti-American?

We (Americans) vote these government officials in - based on what they promise to do, only to watch them do exactly opposite of what they said. Several elections have only given us the choice of trying to decide the lesser of two evils.
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby dejavou » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Bit like our Government then Gina?
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:14 pm

Shutterfrog wrote:Quit picking on Rowan :please: We each have our opinions and beliefs. I quite admire Rowan for standing up for her convictions. I know she likes me and that is all that matters to me.

So, I'll bring the chocklit next year and we'll have a good time on your side of the pond. :mrgreen:

You tell em Gina!! :grouphug:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:38 pm

...Like politicians everywhere ! :evil:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:05 am

Gina, I know that a great many Americans don't like their government, but no, I wouldn't call such people "anti-American". I just feel it is too easy to criticise a country and then tack on the convenient excuse "of course I mean I'm against their government, not their people".

Governments of democratic countries are chosen BY the people and can be replaced if they fail to live up to expectations. That's the only way to go. In all fairness though, Rowan did not confine her criticisms to the US government or its President, but made general observations about the country as a whole.
Kevin

Postby Shutterfrog » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:27 am

We'll let it rest, Kevin. Rowan and I understand how we each think and feel about the situation, and are quite content.

Chocklit all around now. :choklit: :sunglasses:
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:24 am

Don't you mean "chocolate" Gina? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kevin

Postby Rowan » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:39 am

One of your less endearing qualities Kevin!
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Shutterfrog » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:17 pm

Kevin wrote:Don't you mean "chocolate" Gina? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

no, Kevin, most definitely chocklit :rolleye11: :mrgreen:
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby shade » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Well I am addicted to chocklit...have you any to spare please??? :rolleye11: