Will you be displaying your flag on Monday?

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Postby mo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Oh deary deary me.

When I opened this thread I really didn't realise it would almost create a world war situation. How sad.
mo

Postby Rowan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:56 pm

I think that this has gone on quite long enough. :sad:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Sass » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:05 pm

Not WW3; that will be a lot more lethal;-and final.

Patriotism? What a gargantuan dose of trouble that breeds.

Each to their own view. For me it is a piece of cloth on a stick.....................

I agree with Megra and Victors Mate. :scare:
Sass

Postby Sass » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Sorry Rowan; by the time I get the damn post up there is usually a cross over!
Sass

Postby dejavou » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:24 pm

I agree with Miriam ..... the way you use the phrase Rag on a Stick is meant to be insulting, as you well know, or you would have just used the word FLAG but that would not have been denegrating of course :dunno:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:31 pm

Just to please Rowan why don't we swap St Georges day for Star Wars day a few days later. - - - - May the 4th be with you. :hide:
Victors Mate

Postby vannin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:43 pm

With you too VM!
Dunno about Star Wars day.......
But, if I may say so, Red Nose Day seems to produce a rash of ruddy stupid symbolism in the form of red noses - even for cars - with the very laudable purpose of great fund-raising for the worthiest of causes.

In contrast, Patron Saint Days (returning to the topic) with their symbolism of FLAGS - seem to me a dignified outward sign of a deep love for one's country. Also totally worthy.
vannin

Postby Monika » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:06 pm

If all the people whom Megra and VM have named in their posts were alive today, you can bet your life most of them would have flown the flag from their own flag-poles.

I would also like to say that Megra's reply to Miriam and her closing comment were particularly vitriolic and insulting and hardly what one would expect from someone who keeps lecturing the rest of us about how well-educated she is.

This forum is a gentle place and a pleasant place to come to ............... please, let's keep it that way.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Rowan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm moving this thread to the debate section because that's what it seems to be (apart from the nastiness creeping in). :dunno:

Then only those with an interest in the thread need bother with it..

As a matter of interest (if it is to anybody) - there is no-one more patriotic about their country than me - the St Andrew's flag is a SYMBOL of my country - but I certainly don't worship it. After all, it IS only a piece of cloth on a stick but it's what it symbolises to me and those of a like mind.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:18 pm

Don't worry Mo .... it's just a round stick in a square hole
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Miriam » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:00 pm

Oh Megra.....I do Thank You! I've had more than my quota of laughter for today and still tomorrow!!!

You are just tooooooooo silly and so very funny!

Thanks for moving this over, Rowan..
It's too sad that Mo's nice thread was so disrupted by Megra.

There is no communication when one can only write the same thoughts over and over with increasing rudeness.

Heigh Ho!!! That's the way it goes!

Cheers to all who were logical and understood my point of view.

Miriam
Miriam

Postby Sass » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:50 am

"May the 4th be with you."....LOVE THAT!! :banana:

Good to see the option for further debate has been left open. The move is an excellent idea;-I thought this thread had disappeared!

(I would have given my wisdom teeth to respond to the bovine excreta that was Advance Australia Fair; but I did get some clarity on its locking. Good move.)

SO................, this "illogical" one will forward a view.......

The first and obvious one is what I said before;-each to his own!

Secondly, thanking those who agree with only one side of a view; doth not make said view correct...

Thirdly, I come from three generations of military personnel. I achieved the rank of Wing Commander. I will fight to the death to defend myself and those I hold dear against a wrong.

What I will not do, is see a piece of cloth on a stick as a badge of loyalty. It is not. It is simple a piece of cloth on a stick!!!

With the greatest of respect in this debate; I take exception to ANY suggestion that this makes me disloyal. It is unfortunate that this symbol has been used in this thread as the be all and end all of patriotism and loyalty. THAT is what has caused the dissension.

It is offensive to ME that disagreeing with YOU................over a piece of wood and cloth;---for that IS what it is!...., makes me disloyal.

THAT is what validated criticism.

If you value a flag you are patriotic.
If you do not you are disloyal.

That appalls me.

Sass

Postby Rowan » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:00 am

Well, I have to agree with what you have said Sass.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby doatie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:57 am

I have read thrugh all this and have a severe attack of mental indigestion.

Your Flag/Rag-on-Stick is whatever you choose to regard it as. It is a Symbol in which you can believe or disbelieve but phrases like `Disloyal to the Flag` are simply that - phrases.

Megra mentions what this country has given to civilisation - great writers, great men/women, great influence. This , I presume to guess, is her `personal` flag and VM`s too. Miriam`s flag is the Stars and Stripes but I don`t think she is just looking at it as a piece of cloth - its a piece of symbolism.

My Irish flag is the tricolour and to me it represents my country, warts and all. I would be mildly annoyed if anyone insulted it but I would give them the benefit of ignorance.

Flags/Rags are what you perceive them to be.

doatie
doatie

Postby Miriam » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:54 pm

Very well put, doatie!

Sass said:
It is offensive to ME that disagreeing with YOU................over a piece of wood and cloth;---for that IS what it is!...., makes me disloyal.
THAT is what validated criticism.
If you value a flag you are patriotic.
If you do not you are disloyal.
That appalls me.

To each their own! and may it be Peace on this Forum!

Cheers
Miriam
Miriam

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and News