Wind Turbines

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:45 pm

No Oddie life's too short to have the protracted debates you so obviously relish.
I have given my opinion and that is all I wish to do.
Victors Mate

Postby Oddquine » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Victors Mate wrote:No Oddie life's too short to have the protracted debates you so obviously relish.

Nothing to do with protracted debates..............just an attempt to make some people see that a few windfarms are acceptable, even attractive, in one area.....................but some areas are being used as places to dump windmills to cover for the fact that areas like Essex have one windfarm consisting of 2 turbines, in fact, many "windfarms" only have one or two turbines, and the West Midlands has nary a one!

I'd be quite happy with 18 windfarms in Caithness...............if they only had one or two turbines. :roll:
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Sass » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:14 am

For what it's worth................

Yesterday the Oz Labour party agreed at their conference to reverse their stance on uranium mining. On the same day the playful little scamp who is our Prime Misleader, announced that Australia's future will be a nuclear future.

Tweedle dum and tweedle dumber. It is a black period in our history; and getting blacker. It will be a cold day in hell for me to be convinced that the philosophy of 'live now pay later' is the correct one.

We are calculatingly, deliberately leaving a catastrophic future for our children, and their children, and their..........

We MUST harness natural elements; to do otherwise is lunacy.
Sass

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:35 am

Totally agree with you, Sass. I am disillusioned with both the major parties - not much to choose between them !

....and don't forget that our Prime Misleader also wants to sell uranium to China. I haven't heard the Opposition's views on that yet. :evil:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Rowan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:54 am

I am moving this over to debates too because I think folk might want to continue talking about this one.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:23 am

Oddquine wrote:just an attempt to make some people see that a few windfarms are acceptable, even attractive, in one area.....................but some areas are being used as places to dump windmills
I'd be quite happy with 18 windfarms in Caithness...............if they only had one or two turbines. :roll:

Sounds like a job for - - - - - - Donald MacQuixote.

:hide:
Victors Mate

Postby Anya » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:08 am

Coal can be mined and utilized - cleanly and safely - these days, without disrupting the environment. If we can dig huge tunnels under the sea, we can dig coal, using similar machinery. We are sitting on the stuff and it is crazy not to use it - cleanly and safely -

Wave power does not just benefit coastal areas. It is added to the national grid, for everyone's benefit, in the whole country.

New homes should have full insulation and solar panels incorporated, 'dynamic' boilers that produce electricity, water storage tanks under the garage. That would make them virtually independent, for energy. Grants exist for older homes.

What is rarely mentioned, is hydropower. The cleanest form of energy production, of all. Not the huge dams, that destroy entire regions - but smaller systems, in each area.

Any city of town that is near the sea, or near a river, or near a large lake can build an hydropower station, by digging large vertical tunnels and directing some of the water onto powerful turbines below, producing electricity for the whole district. In many parts of the Continent, that has existed for nearly a century.

The water is not 'lost', it returns from whence it came. The ecology of the area is not damaged, because the water is abstracted safely, often as part of flood defences. Thus killing two large stones with one little bird. Avoiding the costly floods that are such regular and miserable yearly events, for many people, whilst producing constant and clean energy.

By comparison, wind turbines produce a minute amount of energy, for the sheer disruption they cause to the environment When the wind don't blow, they produce ZILCH. Apart from hugely expensive maintenance.
Anya

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:03 pm

:groaner:

Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel
As the images unwind
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind
Victors Mate

Postby Oddquine » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:31 pm

Anya wrote:By comparison, wind turbines produce a minute amount of energy, for the sheer disruption they cause to the environment When the wind don't blow, they produce ZILCH. Apart from hugely expensive maintenance.

Up here, when the wind gets too strong, the computer in Belgium stops the blades.....................so when the wind blows too much they also produce................ZILCH!

Whereas domestic turbines, if you get the right kind, just flex the blades and continue producing.

Wind Power is NOT an answer to reducing environmentally unfriendly electricity production except as an individual/community choice in individual/community circumstances with direct input to the grid at the place of production or with the use of battery banks.

It is neither cost effective OR environmentally friendly to produce it hundreds of miles from where it is to be used.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Anya » Wed May 02, 2007 6:31 am

VM - 'tis a nice little toon. Was it meant to be an educated and considered response?

Is Victor still your mate? Or anyone?

:hide:
Anya

Postby Victors Mate » Wed May 02, 2007 10:35 am

I have given my opinion and that is all I wish to do.

Anya I see no reason to dignify your attempt to attack the poster not the posting.
Victors Mate

Postby Anya » Fri May 04, 2007 7:31 am

I agree with you VM - We should respect the views of others, whether or not we share those views.

I agree with Oddie too, absolutely - Local communities should have the ultimate say on what is done in their name AND with their money. Politicians come and go, their mistakes remain forever.

There is still a strange attitude that, once elected, mediocre people must have - power - over the rest of us. Instead of accepting they are there to do the bidding of their paymasters (all of us). 'Civil Servants' is the term. Not 'Civil Masters'.
Anya

Previous

Return to Politics and News