Australian Election

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Australian Election

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:24 am

With not quite 30% of the vote counted, former Liberal politicians are now saying that Labor have won the election. There is also more than a possibility of John Howard losing his seat of Bennelong in Sydney where he is trailing his Labor opponent by 2 % on the primary vote with 2 out of 3 preference votes going to Labor.

The swing in NSW appears to be in the order of over 5 % with a similar result starting to come through from Queensland. The commentators are also saying that the swing nationally at the moment is 6.4 %

It has just come through that the smallest swing to Labour in the booths in the Prime Minister's (John Howard) electorate is in the order of 8 % with the largest being 20 %. :rolleye11:

Link to results -
http://www.news.com.au/feature/0,,50128 ... KNC-google

The ABC are saying that Labor has 79 seats, Liberal/Nationals 55, others 2 and undecided 14.
Labor has won and it also looks as though John Howard has lost his seat.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:25 am

Have just seen this on our news. Howard has been in office for 11yrs. As our country is a disaster at the present time, hope yours does not go the same way. My Dad was a very keen Labour man but God knows what he would feel like today if he were here to see the going on. I am not very strong on politics, they are all alike with their ideas, when they get into power it all changes.
dita

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:29 am

Kevin Rudd is NOT another Tony Blair, Dita - in fact John Howard greatly admired Tony Blair.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:49 am

Good for him Lacey, I am pleased to hear this. When Blair got in here we were all so expecting so many good things after the Conservatives. Quite honestly I have no idea who or what I would vote for should we have an election. David Cameron is married to Sir Reg Sheffields daughter, he owns half the land round here and has his big mansion and grounds open to the public which the Council rent from him. It is within spitting distance from here. Never seen Cameron riding his bike round here. To take a family for a walk round the park is expensive though.

On a Lighter note, what a tour you had around the UK, great photos too, you clever lady. :grouphug:
dita

Postby Sass » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:40 pm

Australia at 10-30 pm.

Australian Labour Party 84 seats.

Liberal/National Coalition 58 seats.

I fully agree with your comments Lacemaker.

Dita, I consider that Tony Blair was the most shameful Labour leader that I have ever encountered. He, Howard, and Bush were at one in their political philosophy. A most destructive trio.

The 'Labour' movement has moved to the Right globally, but Australian Liberals were supposed to be a Party on the mid-Right. Under John Howard they became a neo-Conservative group because they had become so entrenched and over confident in Government.

I now return to the tally room results - (John Howard is conceding defeat as I type this), - and enjoy my second glass of champagne!

.......................I do have every intention of responding to the other thread, but that will be a longer post than this.
Sass

Postby dita » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 pm

I cannot disagree there Sass.
dita

Postby Rowan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:04 pm

I have no real idea of politics in Australia. I hope you get a government who aren't quite so keen on lining up with that eejit Bush though. Good luck!!

I think Tony Blair was not leading a Labour Party - more like the Conservatives than Labour.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:09 pm

Yes and I agree with you Rowan, took the words out of my mouth.
dita

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:42 pm

In the lead up to the election, John Howard was saying that we should not vote for Labor because they were totally inexperienced in Government !

It seemed to me as though in other words he was saying that we should do without elections altogether and just allow the Coalition to hold office indefinitely.

Thanks Dita - I thoroughly enjoyed it. :mrgreen:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Polter60 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:41 am

Believe me folks ......... when it comes to politics ...... you you Ain't seen nothing yet!!! The Who had it right ........ long time ago 'The party on the left is now the party on the right' ......... the thing they got wrong was the name of the song ... 'Won't get fooled again' Aye Right!!!!!!
Warning! the owner of this signature may contain alcohol
Polter60
Honorary Member

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:42 pm

The jokes have started here now.

The logical successor to John Howard as leader of the Liberal Party and therefore the Opposition was Peter Costello but he has stated that he will not be contesting the Leadership but will be retiring to the back benches. The reports this morning are that the Liberals are Rudderless and down in Melbourne one of the papers has headlines, Ruddy Good.

:mrgreen:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Max » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:22 am

Will be a tremendous worry, tighten your seatbelts we are in for a rough ride.
NO MORE SPENDING full stop :) When you have a Labour Government and Labourites leading evey State and Territory, we've a massive problem.
So has the Mud Government :roflmao: The Unions have begun already, can't wait to see how long it takes for them to self destruct.

Peter Costello will work in the Private Sector, he is a Barrister, has a brilliant mind and will earn far more in the Private Sector than in Government :):) good on him!

One wonders why the State Leader of N.S.W. quite the job in such a hurry last year, followed by the State Leader in Victoria, followed by the State Leader in Qld. and now the Northern Territory (all Labourites). A lot to hide, we feel :rolleye11: Time will tell.
Max

Postby Max » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:26 am

Enough of Politics, my new Garden is looking quite nice, am preparing to move out of this area, strongly held by the Liberal Party and return to my beautiful St. George area. However, the rose bush is remaining as a reminder for the roses I picked when so many of my friends on various forums went through very sad losses. At my new home there will be planted a Yesterday Today and Tomorrow shrub, it's very lovely.
Max

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:34 am

Leading up to the election, John Howard was telling us that we shouldn't vote for the Labor party because they were totally inexperienced in governing a country ! It seems to me that he was also saying that we should do away with elections and just let the Coalition rule indefinitely.

His campaign was a very negative one and really he couldn't seem to make up his mind as to what he was offering the country. One day he was telling us we had never had it so good and then the next was warning us of hard times to come. He kept referring to the high interest rates we had under the Hawke/Keating Governments (18 %) but as well as keeping quiet about the even higher interest rates when he was Treasurer in the Fraser Government (22 %) he played down 6 interest rate rises in a row (the last was during the campaign) as being influenced by overseas conditions. He was advised by his party some time ago that he should resign and allow Peter Costello to take over but he refused. One of the comments from commentators on election night was that if Peter Costello HAD taken over then the Labor Party would have had an even bigger victory since he is definitely not popular with the electorate.

I noticed on the Internet on election night that the U.S. media were saying that Bush's puppet was losing the election.........and this is how a lot of people saw him and he has said himself that he is a great admirer of George Bush and Tony Blair.

As to whether the new Government will be better than the old - time will tell but I hope so.

The former Liberal Deputy leader, Peter Costello, has said that he will not put his name forward as the new leader and that he will not accept any nomination for that position but will move to the back benches. I cannot see this lasting. He is a VERY ambitious man who during Howard's tenure in office was constantly looking towards the time when Howard would step down and make way for him. What I think is happening is that there will be a period of turmoil within the Liberal party when the blame will be firmly apportioned for the loss of the election on the high profile politicians in charge during this period........and Costello was one of these. He will stay on the back benches until all the blood letting has occurred then at a future date he will, at the insistence of the party, of course, and very reluctantly, accept that he will be the only person capable of uniting the Liberals into a party which is capable of defeating Labor.

Cynical ??? Yes I am ! :roll:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Max » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:22 pm

Hmm, you could be right Hazel, I doubt it. John Howard would not have been elected by the Australian people time and time again had he not been such a popular Prime Minister. He was the 2nd longest serving Prime Minister, in Australia.
Am happy that he now has the time to devote entirely to his family and friends.Family values have always played a great part during his Leadership. His little Grandson sounds delightful. The choice for new Leadership of the Liberal Party will be tight, Deputy Leader as well. Whereas, Rudd (Mud according to a friend :roflmao: ) announced tonight he will make his own decision as to whom will form his Government. He fought his own campaign, apart from the ever nodding Julia Gillard, which indicates to me that he is going to insist on doing things his way. He may find himself not so popular a man within his own Party. I didn't watch the ABC on election night, was busy doing other things however when I saw Peter Costello interviewed, perhaps the following day? on TV, he maintained that he would never have contested the Leadership whilst John Howard was at the helm.

Rowan, we used to have 2 parties only. The Liberal and Labor parties. That was easy. Then along came the Democrats, have no idea if they are still floating around somewhere.
A lot of Independents, the Green Party, Fred Nile's Christian Party and so the list goes on and on and on. The Greenies give 80% of their votes to the Labour Party, 20% elsewhere as do the majority of Independents and Fred Nile, etc. It's not really a fair and just manner of conducting an election, i.e. the Liberal Party lost quite a few seats due to the distribution of preferences being directed to the Labour Party. The Libs grabbed at least 1 seat from Labour in Western Australia. In Mr. Howard's electorate, although the woman candidate is 2,000 votes ahead which is not a lot in reality, the Postal Votes have yet to be counted. The Postal Votes tend to favour the party who is governing the Country therefore Mr. Howard would have picked up a lot of additional votes, probably not enough to defeat the ex ABC jorno. I no longer watch the ABC, they are too biased, not supposed to be but they are. Lacemaker and I both live in the same Federal Seat, not only did the Liberal Party manage to hold onto this Seat, they increased their votes by approx. 8%. According to a neighbour, the people who live here are too sedate, am laughing at the thought. Don't think the druggos throughout the Sutherland Shire are at all sedate, propbably need sedating :rolleye11:
Max

Next

Return to Politics and News