Latest Film on Monarchy

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Latest Film on Monarchy

Postby Rowan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:53 pm

I watched the latest film and was horrified but also amused at the number of times Americans and English people referred to Queen Elizabeth as "the queen of england". Of course, her proper title (though in my view undeserved) is Queen of the United Kingdoms. The Americans continually talk of England as if it is Britain and it really annoys me. Are they really so ignorant of history and politics as not to know this. It makes it even worse when it is a citizen of that same United Kingdom who makes the remarks.

Everyone on here know my particular political and national affiliation but is it so surprising when idiotic mistakes are made. England is not the most important country in the British Isles or the United Kingdom. It is but one of 4, equally important countries.

I wonder how English people would feel if someone continually referred to Britain or the United Kingdom as Scotland, or Ireland or Wales. Not very happy I would think.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:15 pm

I for one agree with you Rowan, we are all part of the UK. Infact to stick my neck out more though, I think Scotland seem to be more organised than England, Government wise. Oka! I may be starting arguments now about money etc, but it seems to me that we spend alot of money abroad when we need it to improve our failing services to the Uk. Scotland seem to be spending more on the people they are serving. OKA there is plenty to get peoples back up now I think!!!!! :hide:
dita

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:28 pm

Rowan and Dita please remember we are talking about the American (Spit) Press worse even than the British Press. Please do not credit them with even the smallest thread of intelligence.
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Unfortunately, it wasn't only Americans - its was also British press and on at least one occasion, a member of the royal household.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:36 pm

OK but If you want them please have them they can be exclusively Scottish.

You can be a Monarchy and England a Republic provided we don't have to have Gordon Brown as President.
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:03 pm

Sorry VM - wrong way round - you can have the monarchy and Scots can have a republic as can Wales and Ireland if they want - or stay with England if they want. As for Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling, Tony Blair - give THEM to the Americans!! :twisted:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:07 pm

OK you win I have no stomach for this.
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:47 pm

Too hollow a victory for me VM. Next time maybe. :sad:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Sorry Rowan not really up to it.
Victors Mate

Postby dita » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:43 pm

Oka in sport like Soccer, Rugby etc, a bit of rivalry is good, but, please let us stand with each other as a united UK, during the wars all men died under the union jack and stood side by side having respect for each other. Yes I am English but maybe many of my ancestors were Scots, Welsh or Irish. If that be so, then I am proud and sod to anyone who cares to give me a good reason why I should not be.
dita

Postby Sass » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:29 am

Agreed Rowan! This would really ram itself up my nose.
I loathe the 'Americanization' of British history by those who should know better. :evil:

I won't be seeing the film.
Sass

Postby Rowan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:54 am

Its not about national rivalry Dita its about being a separate nationality. I do not see myself as British, never have, despite being taught NOTHING about Scottish history at school. I learned for myself through research. It is appalling that Scottish history is not taught in Scottish schools. What we learnt about was the history of the united kingdom since 1603 - the union of the crowns and English history, which I also know pretty well since I did my own research as well.

We share an island - and should be good neighbours and friends and should stand together in times of threat but should never be thought of as the same country.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Oddquine » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:55 am

They're getting Scottish History in school now, Rowan. In fact, no 1 grandson, having given up on being a plumber, has applied to universities which offer degrees in Scottish History because that is what he is interested in.

Stirling being his first choice.........there's an honorary nephew for you! :sunglasses:
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Rowan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:14 am

:hide: :roflmao:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:50 am

Rowan I agree with you on the last statement, I do not know very much on Scottish History, although we did cover the subject with ours during my education which was not very intense just after the war. It is good to be different country's, but sometimes we have to work together. I had no idea that Scottish History has not in the past been taught in School. You have studied the subject thoroughly and know much more than me, I do take this on board and appreciate this. :grouphug:
dita

Next

Return to Politics and News