Teacher Convicted in Sudan

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Teacher Convicted in Sudan

Postby Rowan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:14 pm

I have been appalled on a daily basis at the news of this teacher who has been put under unbearable stress and fear while teaching in Sudan. How foolish this makes muslim countries appear. How weak this makes the UK for the government to allow this.
All for letting little children name a teddy bear.

All countries in the UK have some of the best records for having freedom of religion - pity other countries don't have the same ethics. Maybe its time for the worm to turn.
Last edited by Rowan on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Young Goat » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:42 pm

I do not condone the actions of the Sudanese authorities but surely this woman was aware of the furore caused recently by the Danish cartoons showing a 'depiction' of the Prophet Mohammed.

Ignorance of the law is no defence in any country. We expect people who come here to abide by our laws and customs, and so do they.
All things considered, I think they have shown tolerance and she has (by their standards) got off lightly.
Young Goat

Postby Monika » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:43 pm

I think it shows paranoia in the extreme and I understand that not all Muslims agree with this intolerance.

One British moderate Muslim hits the nail on the head (today's Mail) when she says that "If we are searching for people who have truly disrespected the faith, how about men like Mohammed Siddique Khan, the July 7 suicide bomber, or Mohammed Atta, the leader of the attack on the World Trade Centre?

It is Mohammeds like these with their barbaric acts of murderous violence, who have brought the greatest shame on the name of our beloved Prophet, not some child's teddy bear."
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Sass » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:20 am

I know that we must not impose our standards and thus our judgment on Countries with different belief systems to us, Driver; but I cannot agree with this action and do judge it harshly.

The quote in Monica's post says it all. If there had been a smidgen of disrespectful intent, then one is just asking for trouble. That was not the case here; rather the exact opposite I suspect. This teacher, one would reasonably assume is an intelligent woman; she would hardly deliberately take a shot at their system whilst in their Country!

No; this action by the Sudanese authorities provides real grist for the mill of the Moslem Haters. And so it goes on.

What has driven this increasing Muslim fundamentalism I wonder?
We grabbed a massive, aggressive tiger by the tail when we chose to invade their world.
Sass

Postby Sass » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:37 am

I'm delighted to say that this lass has just been 'pardoned'. She did nothing to be pardoned for, but that is the necessary procedure, brought about by one of your (UK) Muslim MP's I believe.

Good result.
Sass

Return to Politics and News