Banking bosses

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Banking bosses

Postby dejavou » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:22 pm

As most of you know, I work for a bank, but who knows how long for as we are constantly waiting for the axe to fall.

I've just watched the 4 top execs from HBOS & RBS all looking suitably contrite over the fall from grace and pontificating at how dreadfully sorry they all are for their parts in the collapse of the Banking system in this country.

Not one word was said about the way branch and telephone selling staff were FORCED to get people to take out Mortgages, Credit Cards and Loans which there wasn't a hope in Hell of them being able to afford. The force was firstly threatening there would be no bonus for the whole branch, if one colleague didn't meet the high targets set by upper management, if that threat didn't work, then staff members could be put on disciplinary and ultimely sacked if their targets did not improve. Is there any morality in that?

I know quite a number of good people who left the company rather than follow the edicts
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Victors Mate » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:08 pm

Deja I also worked in a Bank and even qualified but got out before the Banks ceased to be run by AIBs and FIBs. Now the Banks are run by commission driven salesmen and barrow boys. (my apologies to market traders).
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Its disgraceful Deja - what is the point of forcing staff to work like that. I don't like the way banks are run now - I am always being asked if I want to come in and talk about my money - well, I don't have enough to bliddy talk about!! Its immoral
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby e » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:37 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS]I left the Halifax (Estate Agents) for just this reason. Once the bank took over the Estate Agencies they were no longer interested in the house sales ...... only the mortgages and associated products. The pressure was really on to make sales on these even when couples weren't buying a house through us !

It all became too much in the end ....... so I packed it in - even though I loved the work :sad: [/font]
e

Postby Sherlock » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:21 am

It all sounds so familiar. Isn't the NHS suffering "targets"? Do not supermarket and retail managers under similar stresses? Even in places like Argos, one is pressed to take out extra guarantees/insurance. I am bombarded by credit card companies and equity release "advisers". But this is the way of the West. :roll:
Sherlock

Postby toolip2 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 pm

I remember targets back in the 80's when i was in the workplace. I was in a retail environment and the pressure was soul destrying for the salestaff. Luckily I was not a salesperson but I felt the pressure in many ways.

I imagine it's a thousand times worse now. Consumerism is at it's worst and we are wreaking the results of greed and capitalism at it's worst and it's not just the West. The East is as bad! Third world counties just go to the wall. It's scary.

:evil: :roll:
toolip2

Postby Stevie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:53 am

What is annoying me are those government ministers stating that bonuses should not be paid when Government is paying out bonuses. Those working in the FSA are paying out huge bonuses....our money. Other governement departments are paying out big bonuses also.

I am waiting on Mr. Broon coming out and apologising for the mess he and his got us into. They wont trouble the banks etc. all that much as ministers end up on the boards of these banks.

Like all else its we stupid folks that have to pay more through taxes.
Stevie

Postby toolip2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Stevie wrote:What is annoying me are those government ministers stating that bonuses should not be paid when Government is paying out bonuses. Those working in the FSA are paying out huge bonuses....our money. Other governement departments are paying out big bonuses also.

I am waiting on Mr. Broon coming out and apologising for the mess he and his got us into. They wont trouble the banks etc. all that much as ministers end up on the boards of these banks.

Like all else its we stupid folks that have to pay more through taxes.

Don't hold your breath, Stevie! an apology from a politician is rare if unheard of. :groaner: Humility is not a strong point of GB or any of his mob, IMO :roll:
toolip2

Postby vannin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm

I too worked in banking but before 1965.......a whole different world.

This very morning I nipped into the dreaded Santander to ask one question. Big mistake - it is always empty of customers and the customer advisor immediately tries to whisk you in to a Financial Advisor. I was told by one such person, with great pride, 'We are the tenth safest bank in the world.

Is that meant to be good? It sounds a deplorable record. I much prefer the way Yorkshire Bank quietly mentioned itself as 'One of the four safest banks in the world'. It belongs to the big Australian one.

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 am

Following on from my bit about Santander - the man was correct according to online 2010 listing of 'world's safest banks'.
The Nat Bank of Aus, which owns Yorkshire Bank, came just after it at 11th, this could have changed this year.
The 11 are found in
Japan
Kuwait
Turin
Finland
Bank Mellon, NY
Stockholm
Singapore
HSBC
N.Z.
Santander
National Australia.

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:23 am

Following on from my bit about Santander - the man was correct according to online 2010 listing of 'world's safest banks'.
The Nat Bank of Aus, which owns Yorkshire Bank, came just after it at 11th, this could have changed this year.
The 11 are found in
Japan
Kuwait
Turin
Finland
Bank Mellon, NY
Stockholm
Singapore
HSBC
N.Z.
Santander
National Australia.