When IS A Life Sentence A Life Sentence

Where to start a debate on items relating to law and order.

When IS A Life Sentence A Life Sentence

Postby maggiesaes » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:37 am

I hear that one of our revered judges thinks we are keeping murderers in prison for too long.
I remember when we abolished then death penalty being assured that life would mean life - wonder when it all changed.
Last edited by maggiesaes on Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
MaggiesaesImage
maggiesaes

Postby widget » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:40 am

When these so called Judges turned 'soft'
and all the do-gooders stepped in.
widget

Postby vannin » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:55 am

Answer: Never!

There was a long leading news item last night about the Londoner Godfather being convicted, Terry ?, with a rollcall of his many crimes. The sentence: seven years. I thought I had misheard so went to the news on another channel. It was still seven years. Expect he will be out in four.
vannin

Postby widget » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:58 am

It makes you wondered when it changed, the train robbers, [who killed no one] and the Krays, they all got live, :dunno:
widget

Postby vannin » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:02 am

It was Terry Adams, of an 'A-Team'.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article ... 82,00.html

Widget, the train driver was badly injured but survived. He died of Leukemia in 1970.
vannin

Postby maggiesaes » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Well to me there seems no rhyme or reason to it - just try not paying your council tax!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
MaggiesaesImage
maggiesaes

Postby Steve » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:30 pm

There was never any statement that life would mean life. The average life sentence prisoner serves 15 year minimum many a lot longer.....20, 25, 30+ years. Some people are never to be released.

The least likely criminal to reoffend are those on life licenses as all lifers are when released.......Lifers can be returned to prion at any time. For example their socual worker has a document that if they sign it will see a person returned to prison.

I know of lifers who have been returned for peeing up a close and seved 2 years in prison for this. One who pushed a man served 3 years, yes for a push. Another who told a police office to f**k off ( sex and travel) served 4 years before being released again.

I know of some lifers who have been charged with a crime, taken to court and found not guilty but are kept in prison for years.......The Home Secretary does not have to heed the decisions of a court of law one official informed me.

What I am trying to point out is that not everything is as reported in the media or said by politicians. I mean how many people would be in our prisons if telling a police officer to f**k Off was considered a crime that meant years inside?

Prisons are meant to be for those who have been found guilty of committing a crime yet there are a great many instances of people in prisons for doing nothing wrong.

Its a tough subject no matter which way one looks at it.
Steve

Postby Emm » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Yes, I have heard that 'Life' means on licence for the rest of their life.
Emm

Return to Law and Order