Yet another ....

Where to start a debate on items relating to law and order.

Yet another ....

Postby Stevie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:01 am

...reason why capital punishment should never be brought back.

The police have a lot to answer for in ths case but as is always the case nothing will be done. Social workers are hounded by the press as in the baby P case lets see what little the media have to say about this terrible case.

My other problem with this is that the Crown Prosecution Service went ahead with this case not knowing (and obviously not caring)all the relevent facts. Just another case, another conviction and no doubt a drink after for a job well done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7790362.stm
Stevie

Postby Young Goat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:27 am

I agree, but the sentence for a murder should be a whole life tariff, not parole after a number of years.
That way, if new evidence is produced to prove innocence, the convicted person could be released and probably obtain financial compensation for wrongful incarceration.
Young Goat

Postby Rowan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Yes, I would agree for SOME murders - those with intention and planning beforehand, life should be the only sentence but for others, well, I wouldn't like to say.

As for the police, it seems the easy way out, not just once but time after time they have not investigated crimes thoroughly. They latch on to someone and fit the crime round him or her instead of using the means they do have at their disposal. The man Stagg and the lady in this news item - both were innocent. Not counting the women imprisoned for infanticide and later the conviction foiund to be unsafe. They obviously need more training, or dare I say it more investigation into the reasons for wanting to be in the police force.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Return to Law and Order