Internet went orf!

Put your queries here

Internet went orf!

Postby vannin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:46 am

Firstly, I don't understand owt about owt!
My internet went off on Friday.......... I spent a day twiddling/ troubleshooting, because it kept telling me 'a connection was unplugged' then the Isp screen message said it would not recognise me because a device was missing or unavailable/busy. The modem was fully connected and no other connections were loose etc.

I HATE Talktalk! Phoning technical support across the world, we never understand each other. A man kept asking for (what sounded like) the 'looting number' as I could not be helped without this. I asked him to spell it and he declined - I have never heard of a looting number!

Then by chance, looking at the date, I decided to check-up my 5 year-old Dymo label-writer as the season approaches for label-writing of cards. Dymo was very dead, so I disconnected it. Hey presto - the modem's Dsl and Internet lights came on and the Internet was back. Being wary of how (in)secure the recovery was, I left it turned on at the wall socket each night till last night.

This morning, back to square one!!! Nothing!!! Fiddled around as before, then disconnected one end of the printer on the desk. Once again, the modem lights went on and Internet was back. It can't be healthy though. First thing every morning for months I initially had the 'unavailable' screen and 'connection unplugged' message, but got through after re-booting.

Before now, have always switched it right off at night, but will avoid doing so now.

Viv
Last edited by vannin on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vannin

Postby Monsy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Just on the offchance Viv, try changing the channel on your router.

:dunno:
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby vannin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Monsy wrote:Just on the offchance Viv, try changing the channel on your router.

:dunno:

Channel? How? :dunno: :oops: :oops: :doh:
vannin

Postby vannin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Anybody?
:dunno: :oops:
vannin

Postby Victors Mate » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Viv PM Clevewyn he is good at this sort of problem.
Victors Mate

Postby Victors Mate » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Viv I've had a thunk (that's usually dangerous) on the back of your router are there several identical sockets coinciding with green lights on the top of the router? If so unplug and reconnect using one of the other sockets. A different green light should come on and that is a different channel.
Victors Mate

Re: Internet went orf!

Postby Oddquine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:51 pm

vannin wrote:Firstly, I don't understand owt about owt!
My internet went off on Friday.......... I spent a day twiddling/ troubleshooting, because it kept telling me 'a connection was unplugged' then the Isp screen message said it would not recognise me because a device was missing or unavailable/busy. The modem was fully connected and no other connections were loose etc.

I HATE Talktalk! Phoning technical support across the world, we never understand each other. A man kept asking for (what sounded like) the 'looting number' as I could not be helped without this. I asked him to spell it and he declined - I have never heard of a looting number!

Then by chance, looking at the date, I decided to check-up my 5 year-old Dymo label-writer as the season approaches for label-writing of cards. Dymo was very dead, so I disconnected it. Hey presto - the modem's Dsl and Internet lights came on and the Internet was back. Being wary of how (in)secure the recovery was, I left it turned on at the wall socket each night till last night.

This morning, back to square one!!! Nothing!!! Fiddled around as before, then disconnected one end of the printer on the desk. Once again, the modem lights went on and Internet was back. It can't be healthy though. First thing every morning for months I initially had the 'unavailable' screen and 'connection unplugged' message, but got through after re-booting.

Before now, have always switched it right off at night, but will avoid doing so now.

Viv

Turning it off shouldn't make any difference, Viv. I always turn mine off every night at the wall. Anyway, an internet connection problem will be a router or phone line connection problem. When you say you disconnected your label-writer and your printer.....do you mean disconnected the plugs for them from an extension or disconnected their connections from the computer. Just that I've had extensions go wonky on me in the past.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby vannin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:58 am

Hello Oddquine
If I turn it off at night, once those lights go off, they will never come on again in the morning! Up till a few days ago, I always turned it off at the wall.

I completely disconnected the Dymo, rolled up the leads and put the whole heap elsewhere. The printer - my lovely new one - I have just pulled out the connection from the side of it, on the desk.

Tried Monsy's and VM's suggestion, it was a good one but changing the channel, from 1 to 2 on the modem router, didn't work - the lights would not come on again till I reinstated in (lan?) 1. The printer remains as it was and the main switch was on overnight. As things are, the internet is in action as we can see.

Thank you for the interest, and I shall pluck up courage to ring tech support again (hoping for a less foreign techie) I'm sure what he called 'looting' number meant router number and I could have easily supplied it!!! Manilla-based Talktalk :tantrum2:

Viv

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:04 am

Thank you VM and Monsy, I too was very optimistic about this after you, VM, sent me details. But it was not to be. However the router in its old state will stagger on albeit with depleted other 'devices'.......as I described above. If my intention to re-try phoning the customer technical services fails, I shall pm Clevewyn, and thanks again for suggestions.

Viv
vannin

Postby Monsy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:48 am

On my router, t'internet address is 198.162.1.1. Mine is a Dlink. You can always ask google for the address of yours. Type it into browser. For some reason IE seems to accept this address more readily. A pop up will appear Name - password. Just type admin into both unless you have done it to suit yourself previously.

You can change channel on page that will appear. My router kept dropping out as it was on same channel as the orange shop across the way, so I changed it.

Not all that techie Viv, but him upstairs is, if you can't make any headway I shall ask him.
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
(138.36 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby vannin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:23 am

Monsy, I have the number that corresponds to that 19....etc. But it is not a looting number as the guy said so I shall be prepared next time!

(Had to break off suddenly for phone) It is good to have the screenshot. I had a similar one during trouble-shooting. I shall try as you advise.

I see even your seagull friend is mentioned on yours. :hide: But with a 'seagal'
Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 am

I am always clearer-headed in the morning, Monsy, and have entered the router number in the browser to access the relevant screens - found it only works when prefixed by http://

Mine is a Netgear, with all the similar info. But as the various headings were responded-to with the word 'success', my confidence declined about changing anything, as I could imagine the word 'success' becoming the officialese for cock-up!

As the status-quo with the equipment is staggering onwards and I don't need the sacked printer just now, I shall see how today goes.

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:34 am

Maybe phone Manila today..................... :roll:
vannin

Postby vannin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:27 pm

OK, I have been on the phone to technical services and I must say, the lady, although with a foreign accent, could be understood and tried to be helpful.

HowEVER, surprise surprise - Talktalk's system is down and after she tried hard to connect theirs with mine (don't know the term for this) I was also finding I could not access the necessary router info - the pop-up equivelant of the screenshot you sent me, Monsy. Whereas yesterday I 'practiced' and acquired the 'feel' of what I should do today, when the time came, no (router-type) pop-up popped up at all after I fed the 192 number on the browser. So my computer is naff as we know but theirs seems even naffer.

The upshot is, I should call again in 24 hours.

Viv
vannin

Postby Victors Mate » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 pm

or you could start looking for a more reliable ISP Viv. One with UK based help desks.
Victors Mate

Return to Technical Forum