My computer timer has done a Dr Who

Put your queries here

My computer timer has done a Dr Who

Postby vannin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am

Help! Since early evening yesterday, my computer date and clock 'in the bottom corner', has done a time-travel. Right now at 9.15 on Friday 15/03/13, it has 13.55 on Saturday 8th October 2005! I haven't done a system restore or anything, but it has initiated a number of updates this week.

At the same time, I stopped being able to get into Facebook.
Viv
vannin

Re: My computer timer has done a Dr Who

Postby Monsy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 pm

I take it you know how to change the clock back Viv? My first instinct would be to check for a nasty. Malwarebytes is good and it's free!

Run your Glary Utilites as well.

Come back if you have no luck.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby vannin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi Monsy, I have been informed that probably the BIOS battery needs replacing, but in the meantime, re-setting should work. I have reset date and time with crossed fingers!!!

Thanks for your help.

Viv
vannin

Postby maggiemint » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:24 pm

One of my sons had exactly the same problem on his netbook last week. Every time it started up, the date was 1/1/08, sending things like windows update haywire! He left it for me to look at, and after trying various things I also came to the conclusion it was the bios battery. The easiest way to correct the date and time is to sync it with the internet once connected so that's what he's doing until we get a new one (they are out of stock for that model at the moment)
maggiemint

Postby dabthoms » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 pm

When inside your computer make sure you're aware of ESD and all it's potential dangers.
(Short for ElectroStatic Discharge, ESD is one of the few things an individual can do to damage or destroy your computer or hardware components. Much like the shock you receive when rubbing your feet on the carpet and touching something metal, ESD can occur when working in your computer and will cause components you touch to no longer work properly. ESD can occur without you feeling a shock and will only occur while working on the inside of the computer.)
The best method of preventing ESD is to use an ESD wrist strap or use a grounding mat. If you don't have either follow the steps below to help reduce the chances of ESD as much as possible.

Zero Potential - Most importantly, make sure you and the computer are at Zero Potential by continuously touching an un-painted metal surface of the chassis or the computer power supply case.
Standing - It is also very important that you are standing at all times when working on the computer. Setting on a chair can generate more electrostatic.
Cords - Make sure everything is removed from the back of the computer (power cord, mouse, keyboard, etc).
Clothes - Make sure not to wear any clothing that conducts a lot of Electrical Charge, such as a wool sweater.
Accessories - To help reduce ESD and help prevent other problem, it is also a good idea to remove all jewellery.

Open the computer case and find the battery on the computer motherboard, verify that it will be accessible and that it can be removed. Most computers today use a coin cell CMOS battery.

Some CMOS batteries may be held down by a metal clip or bar. This clip just holds the battery in place and the battery can still be removed by sliding it under the clip. Do not bend this clip to get the battery out.

If you are unable to locate your CMOS battery refer to your motherboard or computer documentation or your computer manufacturer for additional assistance in locating it.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't list the exact type and model of your CMOS battery; therefore, once you have located the battery, write down all information about the battery (Voltage, chemistry, wiring, and packaging). If possible, remove the battery and take it to the shop you're getting a new battery from. The part number for this battery for most computers is CR2032.
dabthoms

Return to Technical Forum