Internet Explorer 11

Put your queries here

Internet Explorer 11

Postby vannin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:23 pm

I keep getting a screen message to install IE 11, with 'ask me later' highlighted. If I investigate, it says my computer system will not support IE 11. Does it matter? I mean, the system is working well for me these days.

Viv
vannin

Re: Internet Explorer 11

Postby dejavou » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Sorry Viv, can't help
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Monsy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:55 pm

It doesn't matter Viv, if it ain't broke, don't fix it..........

Is IE your browser of choice? Just wondering.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:46 pm

It is generally wise to update your browser to the latest available version because new versions sometimes contain fixes for bugs or vulnerabilities which might potentially let in a virus, trojan or hacker. Even if there are no security issues, the upgrades are generally intended to provide a smoother, more streamlined browsing experience (although that's a very subjective judgement!).

I'm a tad confused, however, because I think you said somewhere else, Viv, that you're using Windows 8 or 8.1 and my understanding was that IE11 was specifically designed to work with Windows 8, and if your PC is capable of running Windows 8, it should be OK with IE11. It might be worth your while having a look through the Microsoft Community forum to see if anyone else has had this problem and any suggested solutions. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie
HTH
Andere Richtingen

Postby vannin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:41 pm

Oh my goodness, Andere, I have only just found this post from you - over three months old. I must seem very ill-mannered to just leave you in mid-air after you offered advice, but I never returned to look.

But it must have been someone else who said they had Windows 8 or 8.1. I only updated to Windows 7 about 18 months ago and I took long enough to find my way round it.

So I don't know why I started getting messages to install IE 11, and they still appear now and again so I delete and carry on. Not ideal really.

Anyway thank you very belatedly, and sorry. :oops:

Viv
vannin

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 am

vannin wrote:.....Anyway thank you very belatedly, and sorry. :oops:
Viv

Don't mention it! I'm not a regular user of IE, although I have it lurking on my PCs, so I'm not up-to-date on its current state of evolution. Hence, my incorrect assumption that IE11 was the one made for W8. However, it does appear that you should be able to update to IE11 so long as you have all the patches issued for Windows7 already installed - see http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/ie11-patches-blocked-until-windows-7-users-install-kb-2929437-244396 . Sorry, it's mind-bendingly awful reading but it does contain a link to the crucial patch if you care to try.
Do you have your PC set up to receive automatic updates? If you do, these patches should install automatically as they are released. I know there are arguments against automatic updating but, as a procrastinator, I find it much easier to let the computer make the decision for me otherwise it's always something to be done mañana. :)
(Note to myself - go and wake up W7 laptop and find out what version of IE is on there ... mañana!)
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:12 pm

We have IE11 and windows 7, downloaded it a few months ago its ok and not caused us any problem Vannin.
dita

Return to Technical Forum