Which Firewall?

Put your queries here

Which Firewall?

Postby Emm » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:51 pm

Opinions please on which you consider to be the best Firewall?
Emm

Postby widget » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:04 pm

widget

Postby DaisyB » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Zone Alarm for me, free too
DaisyB

Postby Polter60 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:32 am

If you go here http://www.grc.com/intro.htm you can have your firewall tested.
Zonealarm does me.
Warning! the owner of this signature may contain alcohol
Polter60
Honorary Member

Postby Emm » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:18 pm

Merci, folks.

I used to have Zone Alarm, until the puter went down.
The techie put PI-cillin on.
I have just got rid - and gone back to Zone Alarm.
:mrgreen:
Emm

Postby CD » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:09 pm

I visited that site Polter and had a perfect score on all their tests so I am well satisfied with my current protection. Great stuff.
CD

Postby widget » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:21 pm

That looked to complicated that site, did not know what to do :oops: :oops:
widget

Postby Dragon Lady » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:40 pm

Widget - download it and save it into a folder in your C Drive (I put all my downloads under the Programs folder). Double click on the saved file and it should take you through the registration process.

On the LH side of the program you will see places where you can go to alter the settings. Make sure your internet security is High. Suggest you switch the Email to On if it is not already set. If you are unsure about any of the pre-set settings, leave them as they are.

As soon as any of your programs try to access the internet ZA will inform you and you can chose to allow or disallow the program. If you don't know the reason for a program asking for internet access, disallow it. Any programs that you are sure are safe, you can get ZA to remember your answer and it will not ask you again.

If you have any problems, or want to know what various functions do, go into the Help section.

I use ZA and swear by it!

Oh and I suggest when you do start using it, disable the function that warns you of every attempt of things attempting to access your PC from outside, otherwise it will scare you half to death as well as being annoying. Most of the things that do attempt this are harmeless; sometimes it can just be your ISP checking the connection I believe.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Polter60 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:18 am

I found a site called Sam Spade that will show you the URL of anybody trying to invade your computer, when I checked with Zonealarm, it turned out most of the time it was BT, my ISP!! Before I sent them an Irate E-Mail I had a look on other forums, turns out they are just trying to update my system. They do it when I log on, and I never notice.
Warning! the owner of this signature may contain alcohol
Polter60
Honorary Member

Postby widget » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Still can't understand it, which one is the download, and where is the link to download.
Last edited by widget on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
widget

Postby Dragon Lady » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:17 am

The image you are showing Widget is the website that will check the security of your computer. What you want is Zone Alarm which is the firewall. For some reason the link I put here sends me to the site where you pay for it. Go to Google and put in "zone alarm + free" and click on the first site that comes up.

When the page comes up, you will see some blue tabs at the top of the page. Click on the one which simply says "Zone Alarm" and this will take you to the free download.

Alternatively, go to www.download.com and download it from there.
Last edited by Dragon Lady on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby widget » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:22 am

Polter56 wrote:If you go here http://www.grc.com/intro.htm you can have your firewall tested.
Zonealarm does me.

This is what I was trying to get, I already have the free ZA, have had for years,
am going to take that pic of as it is to large.
widget

Postby Dragon Lady » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:25 am

Sorry Widget - I misunderstood you! Hold fire - I will check out the website you have put up and come back to you.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Dragon Lady » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:28 am

Try this site for Shields Up, which is what Polter was pointing you to. https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Scroll to the foot of the page and hit the continue button.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby dabthoms » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:01 pm

Checked out my computer using that link, Dragon Lady. Seems my computer does not exist as far as the internet is concerned I'm pleased to say.
dabthoms

Next

Return to Technical Forum