Tapes to disc

Put your queries here

Tapes to disc

Postby Penny » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:54 pm

I have a series of tapes which I wish to keep. Is it possible to have them professionally put on a disc (think that is CD)
cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Rowan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:52 pm

I just saw in an advert a sort of turntable thingy you can plug into the computer that will turn singles into CDs. There might be something you could buy for tapes that would do the same thing. The thing I saw can be bought in somewhere called Maplins (which I have not heard of before - thought it was the Hi De Hi holiday camp)!! Hope this is of some help. Quite fancy getting one myself.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby twinsmum » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:06 pm

Penny if you can play tapes/music through you computer this may help.
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/
twinsmum

Postby Penny » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks both, we have a Maplins very close to M.Keynes, I must have a chat with them. That soundSsso technical Twinsmum, I just cringed when I looked in. I hate anything technical so will have to wait until I go to Maplins and ask them. I would dearly love my tapes put on disc tho' before the video machines are all out of date.
Will let you know how I get on when I can pluck up courage to go across the city.

cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Postby ciderman_nz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:36 am

I had the same question Penny and I was given this by an American techie. I haven't tried it out yet but I have downloaded it. I'll get around to it! :mrgreen:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Polter60 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:27 am

Audacity works fine. You need a lead from your headphone socket on the tape player to the line in socket on your computer, start tape, click red button on Audacity, stop it when the tracks finished.
Then you have to clean up the recording, take all the hiss out of it. I can't remember what I used, it was about two computers past.
Warning! the owner of this signature may contain alcohol
Polter60
Honorary Member

Postby Penny » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:47 am

Sorry Polter57, think I have confused everyone.The tapes are vido tapes of which I have several which I long to keep. cheers Penny :please:
Penny

Postby Polter60 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:31 am

In which case you need a DVD recorder. I had 12 years of VHS tapes of the grandsons ......... a bliddy great pile o' them. I bought a DVD recorder and put them on to DVD's.Play VHS, start DVD recorder and 3hrs later you have a DVD. I now have a small round tub with all my DVD's in it. The VHS tapes went in the bucket.
Warning! the owner of this signature may contain alcohol
Polter60
Honorary Member

Postby Penny » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks for that Polter57, will see if my son will give me a hand. I'm sure he does this sort of thing but I hate to bother folk when they are so busy. cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Postby Vince » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:46 am

Polter57 wrote:In which case you need a DVD recorder. I had 12 years of VHS tapes of the grandsons ......... a bliddy great pile o' them. I bought a DVD recorder and put them on to DVD's.Play VHS, start DVD recorder and 3hrs later you have a DVD. I now have a small round tub with all my DVD's in it. The VHS tapes went in the bucket.

I have done exactly the same but despite my tender loving care down the years to my videos of my children growing up, I was surprised how the colours on the tapes had faded. I now have the satisfaction that my precious thoughts will be kept and past down the generations without and further deterritorialization now that they have been put onto discs.

Vince
Vince

Return to Technical Forum