Don't understand my central heating system!

Put your queries here

Don't understand my central heating system!

Postby vannin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:41 am

I'm cheating, coming on the technical forum - this not being an I.T. or camera problem.

But it is the technical side of the heating. It just won't come on in the mornings - I have got it programmed -for 7.30 to 9 a.m. Have inspected the timer which seems fine, it still comes on for the later session at 4.30 p.m. and stays on till the time it is set to go off. I suspect the room thermostat of being the problem, and apart from raising it a notch or two, I am just baffled.

The boiler itself comes on at 7.30 a.m. but doesn't 'fire' the radiators. OK, the weather is not bad and I am not very cold....but maybe eventually baby comes to visit, warmth will be paramount.

I had it turned to off during that little Indian Summer, then switched on again on Monday. Both sessions worked OK. Tuesday at FOUR (4) a.m. it came on and stayed on till I got up and switched it off. Was there a frost??? Thought it was only rain.

Yesterday and today, no start-up at either 4 or 7.30 or any other time of the morning so far! Any ideas? Having had someone who just knew how to fix anything anywhere,and usually 'fixed' for all the neighbours too, I never had to learn much of it.

Viv
vannin

Postby Rowan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:24 am

Haven't a clue myself but will ask Davy when he comes in - is it gas central heating? I now mine doesn't come on - no matter what times its set for if the temperature in the room is more than the thermostat is set for - doe you hear a click when you turn the thermostat up?
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby vannin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:34 am

Rowan, yes it is gas central heating with a lovely two-year-old Vaillant boiler. As for 'clicks' No! Since last night the two times I turned it up slightly, there was not a click. It is on about 22C now. Probably too high on this September day.

Ah!! Latest update 11 a.m. (just as I was on my way out shopping) The thermostat clicked itself down to 21! :magnify: At least I know it is active! The sun is shing in....a nice morning.

Viv
vannin

Postby twinsmum » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Viv it sound as if you have the system we have just had installed, John thinks you need to adjust the temperature, ours isnt coming on in a morning because the area is to warm, its new to us and we are still learning.
Hope that helps.
twinsmum

Postby vannin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks Barbara, and Rowan too, I agree with this. Strangely though, the afternoon when it has come on like right now, feels warm without it. but the morning when one is getting up, feels cold without it. The thermostat is placed near the front of the house which has the sun in the afternoon. So it all seems the wrong way round, to me!!

In fact I am uncomfortably hot!

Viv
vannin

Postby Young Goat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:19 pm

From the descriptions you give I would suspect the programmer to be faulty if it is not coming on at the times it is set to and it is coming on at other times when it is not supposed to.

As to room thermostats and the accuracy of their temperature settings, I have found that the numbers shown on them are only a rough guide and cannot be relied upon.
I have a thermometer hanging on the wall beside mine so I know what the real temperature of the room is.
Young Goat

Postby vannin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:16 am

Bingo, I think she's got it!

Thanks, Young Goat for your input.

This morning the rads have come on. I thought last night I had probably caused their failure to do so, by turning down the individual radiator control thermostats the previous night and the night before that. I hadn't realised they actually would prevent the activation from the boiler in the morning but I found nothing worked if I turned them up at breakfast-time AFTER they should be on.

So last night at bedtime, I turned up those on the radiators of the rooms I use, (which is not the whole house by any means!) and hey presto, those rooms are now warm!

You can tell I never used to be the one to adjust central heating except sometimes at the programmer, to advance the system or turn it off.

Edited to mention the surprise of the 4 a.m. turn-on the other morning. I know there is a frost-sensing device which, last Winter, gave an extra programme in the wee small hours on frosty nights. Earlier this week, though there were some Indian Summer days, there were some cold nights - not surprising in late September.

Viv
vannin

Postby Rowan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:50 pm

I had the same bother with mine Viv and it was like I said above. Davy says he can't add anything to that and reminded me he is an electrician and not a plumber!! So he's a man - they're supposed to know what to do!! :roflmao:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Return to Technical Forum